Chapter 22: Confrontation

Lauren sat upstairs on her bed. She looked out of her window to see Landon's room. How could she have let it happen. She should have known.

'Don't beat yourself up about it, Lauren.' her heart told her. 'It's not your fault.'

She got up off her bed and walked over to her window. She opened the curtains fully and then went to open the window. She looked out to see if there were any signs on Landon's part. To her disappointment, she saw nothing.

She looked away from the window and she found that her eyes filled up with tears. "Why did Mom have to be so mean to Landon. What in the world's name did he ever do to her? She didn't even give him a chance!!!!"

She paused as she realized what she just had said. Her mom never gave Landon a chance. She had thought she had understood what Landon had meant by it, but she was wrong. It wasn't until her mother judged Landon that she understood. There was nothing worse than not giving people the chance.

Cindy had taught her children to respect everyone regardless of what they looked like and regardless of what they had, such as conditions or sicknesses or deformations and such other things.

Where had that woman been an hour ago? Where had she gone to? she thought to herself. Maybe it's the money.

Lauren knew that her parents made a lot of money. That's why she always had the latest gadgets in technology or the latest clothes that were in fashion. When she was a child, her brother and her didn't have the same luxuries. But then their father became associated with one of the biggest law firms and his salary rose to the highest levels they had ever seen. Maybe it was the money that had caused the change.

There was so much to understand. There were so many questions left unanswered. But one that's kept running through Lauren's mind was, How dare she? How dare she treat someone like that and not feel even a little bit of remorse? Had her mother's heart turned to stone?

No, she shook her head. There was no way that it had happened. How can that have happened when she loved her father so much?

She went to the window again, wanting something to distract her. She was looking at the trees and thinking about the whole situation that she didn't see Lance's infuriated figure pass by.

A few minutes later, she decided that she was going to talk to her mom about all this. She had to make sure that Cindy understood that no matter what Cindy said, Lauren would not stop being Landon's friend. he was more different than anybody she had ever known. And if her mother refused to see that, Lauren would make sure that she herself didn't forget it. Although she doubted that she would ever forget Landon. He was special in more ways than one.

While Lauren was walking down the stairs to reach her mom in the kitchen, the doorbell rang. She saw how her mother went to the door and opened it.

She was surprised to see Lance there. She knew this had to do with Landon. Oh my god, she thought. He found out.

At this realization, she panicked and she ran towards her mom. From here, she could hear everything.

Lance looked furious. His eyes held so much hatred, so much anger that she had to admit scared her more than she thought it would. "Oh..I'm glad you're home." He spoke, directing it at Cindy.

Cindy smiled at Lance, obviously not noticing the tone of anger in his voice.

"Don't be such a hypocrite." He barked at her.

"What are you talking about, dear?"

"Don't call me dear. Don't fucking dare call me dear."

Cindy gasped. She had just heard the young man who had been smiling a while back cuss right in front of her. Then she became mad. She was not about to let some boy come and cuss at her. "Get out of my house."