Chapter 24: Surprise Visit

The next day, Lauren woke up and the sun was shining through the window. She woke up and looked around. She saw that Landon was already up. As she watched Landon walk around his room a smile spread across her face. She couldn't help but remember how kind he had been the day before. She was beyond grateful to have met him. If this would have happened back in Santa Barbara, Lauren was sure that not even her best friend would have done what Landon did. He would have probably been afraid of what his parents would have done.

"Landon?" Lauren said.

Landon immediately turned his head towards the voice. "Yes?"

"Thanks. Thank you for taking the risk of bringing me here. I really appreciate it."

"You're my friend, Lauren. It's what friends do." Landon smiled at her, showing his dimples.

"You do know you have dimples, right?"

"Do I?" he asked. "I wouldn't know. I never smiled and looked at myself in the mirror when I was younger."

She laughed and then she turned to him. "Okay."

"Yeah."

Lauren watched as Landon went over to take a necklace out of a box. He was struggling to put it on. Lauren got up from the bed and went over to him. She took the necklace from his hands, her hands accidentally brushing his. Sparks immediately shot through her arms. She paused for a while and then she went over to the Landon's back. Landon was a few inches taller than Lauren so she had to ask him to sit on the bed.

"Sorry," he mumbled as he sat down cautiously.

"It's fine." Lauren answered as she secured the necklace in place. "There you go."

"Thanks."

He got up and turned to face her, since he hadn't heard her move. "Breakfast is served."

Lauren looked at him and thought about it. "I don't think that's a good idea."

"Why not? I'm sure you're hungry."

"I am, but I don't think it's the right thing. Your mom and your brother are going to want to know why I'm here."

"You need to eat, Lauren. And I'm taking you down there. If they ask, we'll just tell them you got here early and I opened up and you were up here with me until now."

"But-"

"No buts, missy. You are going downstairs with me because you need to eat breakfast and you are hungry. So let's go."

Lauren's heart melted a little at Landon's words. She decided that it was better to eat something than continue on an empty stomach. She wasn't going to go back any time soon and she needed to eat.

When they got downstairs, Laura and Lance were already there. They looked up and were shocked to see Lauren with Landon coming down the stairs.

"What are you doing here, sweetie?" Laura asked with a warm smile on her face.

Lauren looked at her and said, " Well...ummm...I had some problems with my mom. So I decided to come here since you guys were the only ones that I knew."

"Oh I see. I should call her." She began walking towards the phone, but Lauren caught her arm. Laura turned around to look at Lauren.

"Please don't, Laura. Please don't call her to tell her I'm here." Lauren's eyes filled up with tears.

Laura, seeing this, decided not to call her. "Okay, sweetie. Okay. I won't call her."

"Thank you." Lauren hugged her.