Chapter 23: Lauren and Landon

Lance got home and went straight to Landon's room. Landon was sitting on his bed.

Landon looked up when he heard the door open. "What happened?" he asked him.

"I confronted her." 

"And?"

"Look, Landon. She's a bitch. I'm not going to lie. I was this close to lunging at her and killing her out of rage. But Lauren stopped me because she didn't want me to get in trouble.

I'm not going to lie, at first when you told me that Lauren had been on your side, when you told me that, I didn't believe you. I was standing in front of her mother, cussing her out, and you know what Lauren did?" Lance saw that Landon stayed and kept going. "She took my side. Maybe not the cussing, but the argument."

"Okay. Then what happened?"

"Well, Cindy started to tell me that Lauren had agreed with everything that she had said about you. Lauren was really upset and asked her what her problem was. I jumped in because I needed to stand up for her like she did to me." he paused.

"Then what happened?" Landon asked, already impatient.

"I told her that she went to check up on you and that's when Cindy slapped Lauren. But I mean, hard. Lauren fell to the floor. Then she ran out and Emileigh ran after her. I don't think they've found her."

Landon started to panic. "What?! What do you mean? She's gone?"

Lance tried to calm him down. "Don't worry Landon, she'll be fine."

"No, Lance. I have to go look for her."

Lance shook his head. "No. No, it's not right."

Landon walked past Lance but Lance grabbed his arm. "Why Landon? You should stay here."

Landon spun around and shook loose from Lance's grip. "Because if it were me instead of her, she'd go look for me."

Lance let him go after that. Landon was growing more and more attached to Lauren. But that was good.

Landon walked down the stairs and greeted his mother. "Where are you going sweetie?" she asked.

"I'm going for a walk. Don't worry about me. Okay? I'll be fine." Landon said to her in the calmest tone he could muster.

"Okay," Laura nodded. "Just be careful."

"I will be, mom. Don't worry."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Lauren was pretty sure that the hand mark was still plastered on her face. It had been too much. Her mom slapped her because she had been nice to her own friend. She didn't understand. The more she went over the whole situation, Lauren couldn't understand that this was possible.

If someone had told her that her mom would slap her in the future, Lauren would have never believed it. She hated that there was a tingling sensation running from the bottom of her cheek to the tip of her hairline. She was still clutching it as she ran out of the house.

When Lauren was completely outside, she let her cheek go, and she started to run full force. The wind hit her cheek and she felt her cheek cool down.

She didn't know where to run, so she decided to run to her left. There was no thinking involved in the process, it was just her need to run. She ran and ran until she knew that it was okay.

As she was running back, Lauren saw Emileigh running in the direction she had just run a few minutes ago. She's looking for me, she thought. I can't go back into that house. Not after what my mom did to me.