Chapter 39: Home

A few weeks had passed since Ray's accident. Landon had visited him every day. The doctor had said that the surgery was successful, but that he hadn't woken up yet.

Landon had gone to visit him every day and eventually he had woken up. Landon was happy that Ray had woken up and was able to go back to school. Although Ray missed a lot of school, he caught up with extra work.

The principal called the six young men that attacked Ray and expelled them. They knew what they were doing was her reasoning and they could have killed him. She didn't want kids like that to attend her school.

Ray hung out with Lauren and Landon and they were careful to look out for anybody that wanted to hurt him or do anything to him. Everything was going fine so far and Ray couldn't be happier.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey, you doing okay?" Lauren asked Landon.

Landon turned his head to face Lauren's voice. "I guess I'm doing fine."

"You guess?"

"Yeah. I still feel guilty for everything that happened. I know I should be happy that he's back to being my friend and all but I can't help but feel that it was my fault."

"How many times do I have to explain to you that it was nowhere near your fault."

"But I feel---"

"Landon please," she said in a pleading voice, "it wasn't your fault. You weren't the one who told them to hit Ray like that. You're a good guy, Landon. You were there to help him."

"Lauren, why do you keep doing this?"

Lauren looked at him not understanding what he meant. "Why do I keep doing what?"

"You keep telling me things, trying to make me understand. Many people would have given up already."

Lauren blushed. Because I like you and you're way more amazing than you think, she thought but she didn't tell him that. "It's what friends do. That's what friends are for." she said instead.

"Well that just makes you more amazing than you already were."

"I wasn't that amazing."

"Yes you were. You still are and I can't thank you enough for that."

"Landon Valentine, you are a sweetheart. You don't have to thank me for anything. If anything, I should be thanking you."

Landon laughed. "Okay. Then we should both thank each other. After all, we have both helped each other a lot."

"Yeah, we have."

Landon nodded his head and he moved to a more sensitive topic. "Has your mother called?"

Lauren looked at him. It had been two months since Cindy had left and she still wasn't back. "Yeah, she has, but she didn't want to talk to me. She talked to my dad and Aunt Emileigh, but she refused to talk to me."Lauren started to cry without noticing the tears as she was talking. "My dad and my aunt both wanted her to talk to her, but since she talked to my aunt last, the second time my aunt asked her to talk to me, Mom just hung up."

Landon brought her close to him. He hated when she cried. He could practically feel her pain. Whenever he heard her cry, anguish, anxiety, and sadness clutched his heart but there was nothing he could truly do. All he could do was hold her. And that was exactly what he was doing now.

When Lauren had calmed down, she wiped the tears that still stained her cheeks. "I'm sorry about that. You must think I complain about everything."