Chapter 36: Ray and Landon

Ray was waiting for Landon and Lauren the next day. Lauren was ready to stand up for Landon instead of standing there and doing nothing like she did the last time. 

Ray approached them. Lauren noticed that he wasn't with the other guys he was usually with. This time, Ray was alone. 

"Hey guys," he said. 

"Hi." Landon and Lauren said at the same time. 

"Landon, may I talk to you alone? There are still a few minutes before school starts." 

"Sure." he turned to Lauren and told her to wait for him, and to not worry about him. "I'll be fine." 

Landon followed Ray using his cane and Ray's voice. There wasn't much he could do.  

Ray made stopped and turned around to face Landon, then he began talking, "Look, Landon, you're right. The only reason why I bully you is because my dad has always been so indifferent. I was jealous of you because you had a great father. You have amazing memories and I don't. I don't expect you to, but I hope that you can forgive me. I'm sorry for all the damage that I caused you.  

I know I don't have any justification for what I've done. I know that you must probably hate me, but I really am sincerely sorry. I was blinded by my own sorrow and self-pity. I'm sorry. Will you forgive me?" 

Landon didn't even have to think about it, but Ray was expecting Landon to say no; Ray was readying himself for the blow. 

"How can I not forgive you?" Landon said to him. 

Ray was about to answer "I understand," but he was too stunned to continue. In mid-sentence, he looked up at Landon and asked, "What?" 

Landon repeated what he had said to him, "How can I not forgive you? You're my friend." 

Ray was in shock. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. He had expected Landon to turn him away immediately. "You're serious?" 

"Yeah. I've said it twice already." he laughed. 

"You don't hate me for everything I've done to you? I mean, it's been a while. Thirteen years." 

"I know." 

"That's it? You're not mad at me or anything." 

"No. I'm not . I understand." 

"But you can't possibly understand everything. I had no right to do what I did to you." 

"I know, but you were trying to cope and you found bullying me as a means of trying to cope. 

"But it was wrong. It was more wrong than anything I could have ever done. It was just--- geez I can't even find a word that accurately describes the degree of wrongness." 

"Ray, I'm telling you, it's like it never happened." 

"But you have no idea how damn guilty I feel. There are no words to describe how much of a scumbag I am." 

"Ray, don't feel guilty. I know you're a good guy despite everything. If you weren't, I wouldn't have forgiven you." 

"You're killing me, Landon. At least yell at me, punch me in the face, kick me if you want, embarrass me in front of everybody, I don't know. Just please do something." 

Landon shrugged. "But I don't want to do anything." 

Ray rolled his eyes. "Please, Landon." 

Landon knew Ray was right, but he honestly felt that he had nothing he wanted to do. Ray had repented of all he did, and for him that was enough. Although he had forgiven Ray, he would never forget all the scars that Ray gave him.