TWO

❝For a man to conquer himself is the first and noblest of all victories

❝For a man to conquer himself is the first and noblest of all victories.❞

— Plato

The rooms here are of the perfect size for two students

The rooms here are of the perfect size for two students. There's a window that overlooks the entire complex in my room and since we're on the top floor, it genuinely seems like an ideal location to me.

The room is divided into two parts with a light blue curtain. Mine's the side away from the door. The moment I've looked around the room, I lay on my bed, sighing. It isn't even one in the afternoon and I'm already exhausted with everything. I haven't really done anything that should've worn me out, though.

Just then, the doors to my dorm room fly open. I look up to find a girl wearing the school uniform just like me walking in. She's of average height - I guess she's a bit shorter than me. Her red hair is tied up in a high messy bun and her face is sprawled with freckles. She looks like she doesn't talk much. I hope that's true.

She walks to her bed, throws her bag down and leans back. She rests her eyes at me and they're filled with an expression of curiosity. "I'm Jade. You're the person I'm gonna stay with for the next three years?"

Not really.

"Clearly," I say.

She sighs. "What's your name? And the program?"

"Harley. Dance." I didn't ask her what her program was but I can make a solid guess. She didn't really seem to mind that, either, because when she hears my name, her eyes go wide in surprise.

"Wait, you're Harley?" she asks. "Like Harley Kingsley? 97.9 percent? Like the first ranker? Like-"

"Hey, slow down, Jude-"

"It's Jade," she points out, but she didn't seem to mind the fact that I'd said her name wrong like most people would. Is she used to it? Or is she just excited? "Anyways, you're her, then?"

"Yeah, I'm her," I reply.

She whistles, clapping her hands. "Whoo, you're really not what I expected. You seem cool, I guess."