THIRTY FOUR

Practice goes by normally during the week, with Rhea and Ryker messing around and Kai making his comments for every single thing

I find myself liking their company. Our choreography is really good and we've practiced it over and over. Meanwhile, my hand has begun to hurt even more and I know that I need a break but if I back off from this performance at a moment like this, I would feel like I'm betraying the others.

I stare at my swollen elbow. I'm alone in the changing room right now, the others have already left. This time, Valeria has decided to begin with the second year evaluation and requested everyone to be present. As much as I'd like for myself to see Lily dance, I didn't want the others to notice the swelling.

I click my tongue, reaching in my bag to take out the spray. From my left hand, I hold the can still and open the cap, letting it drop on the floor. I spray the contents all over my elbow, the coldness giving me immediate relief. Just as I'm about to keep the can next to me, I accidentally drop it on the ground.

A groan of frustration leaves my lips. "Fuck," I mutter, an expression of annoyance clear on my face.

"You're clumsy," a familiar voice says, making a chill go down my spine. Nate stands there, leaning against the lockers. I'm pretty sure he's not allowed in here and yet, there he is.

I bite my lip, sparing him a single glance. He's wearing a grey t-shirt and black pants, his hair still a mess. "I know."

His eyes go to my swollen elbow and he sighs. I lean forward to get the can but he steps forward, picking it up before I could reach it. I roll my eyes, lifting myself up and sitting in my original position.

Leaning in front of me, he gets a hold of my hand and I flinch with the sudden contact but I know he already knows of my hand. I wait for him to say something but he's just staring at it as if he's surprised that it isn't worse.

"Don't dance today," he says to me quietly, still looking at my elbow.

I pull away from him, taking out a small roll of crepe bandage. I open it and begin to wrap it around my hand but it proves to be difficult to hold it still. Nate lets out a sigh before taking the bandage from me, his face now holding a blank expression.

"Nate, give it to me," I say, trying to stay calm. He doesn't react. Instead, he just begins to roll it back. I roll my eyes, not knowing what to do. I reach forward to take the bandage from him but he scoots away, making me groan in frustration. "Nate-" I reach for it again but he moves away further and I end up falling off the seat.

I don't get up. I just look at him as he sits down in front of me, leaning against the lockers. He finally looks into my eyes but I can't read it and it makes me feel even more annoyed.

"Quit it," I mutter. "I am going to perform. It's just a small swelling. It'll get better soon."

He lets out another sigh. "So, you'll perform today and end up stressing out your arm even more than it is. It'll slow down the healing process."