TWENTY

❝Because the only people for me are the mad ones

❝Because the only people for me are the mad ones.❞

— Jack Kerouac

The swimming evaluation was the slowest thing ever

It took about forty minutes to finish up with the second year evaluation. On the top was Akeno Aigui, with a time of 23.8, taking the first place overall for now. Reece ranked tenth, which wasn't bad, I suppose, considering the gap between him and the eleventh ranker was of a second and half.

After that began the first year tests. I was in the first group with Hayette, Maia, Ciara and a few other girls in my class. I ended up getting the first position among us, getting a time of 26.7 seconds. If I'd have tried harder, I'd have effortlessly reached 25 but my hand gave me a lot of pain. It's been like that lately - failing me when I need it the most.

However, I didn't care about the swimming results.

The moment I reach the other side and all our names are displayed on the screen, I lift myself up, my right hand immediately giving me a stingy pain. If it was anymore, I'd have fallen down but I get up properly and make my way back inside the changing room. I step into the shower, the water hitting my skin, making me realise that I've already exhausted a lot of my energy.

I don't even like to swim.

I change into the regular uniform, t-shirt and shorts and walk back to the seating area of the pool. When I'm back there, I see that Jude's turn has already passed and she's now in first position with the time of 23.2 seconds. It doesn't take a lot of time for the first years to finish up. After all the students are done, the rankings are displayed.

On the top of it all is Jude, and even with a time of 26 seconds, I've managed to still be in the top twenty with my ranking being the nineteenth. Without saying much, the instructor then calls out for a woman, whom I've seen around a lot during the morning track sessions. She's Aliana Tran, one of the instructors. "Take them to the chess room, now. I'll be there in a moment." She nods and without saying much, starts to walk out of the room.

Chess, huh?

The chess room is in a building called 'Coues', whom I remember as the god of query or questioning. Aliana leads us to the second floor and I'm genuinely surprised to see more than half the floor having an area specifically with chairs and tables and chess boards arranged.