EIGHTEEN

❝The soul of man is immortal and imperishable

❝The soul of man is immortal and imperishable.❞

— Plato

"There are no classes today

"There are no classes today."

The moment Kal spoke these words, the classroom had broken into a conversation about how they won't have academic classes for the day and how fun the event would be. A few students like me, Elliot, Hayette and Julian didn't budge because we knew there was a catch. If it was an official holiday, a notice would've been put up on the class groups and the notice boards but there wasn't.

Which meant, if there weren't any classes, there would be something much worse for the day.

"I'm not done yet," they interrupt, their voice sharp and commanding, making all the conversations in the room halt at once. "Go to your locker rooms and change into your field clothes. You'll be spending the day out in the fields."

This time, the students were even more wild with their cheers than before. There weren't many people who liked physical education but it had become a subject that people bunked right after attendance.

The class begins to move out of the class, their chatters echoing in the hallways. It takes about five minutes for most of us to disperse. After that, it's just me and Elliot sitting on our seats, not moving at all.

"Well?" Kal says, "aren't you both going to go? I clearly mentioned all of you. Neither of you are exceptions."

Sighing I get up from my seat. Elliot follows, walking as slow as ever. He's one of the students who's not interested in sports at all, making him reluctant everytime we have to move out. However, today, he seems to have something else in mind. The fact that he waited for me to leave as well didn't exactly sit right with me. It almost feels like he wants to say something to me and I can only wait for him to do that.

He decides to break the awkward silence as we're going down the stairs.

"So," he says, "Did you know that there are direct confrontations between different grade levels in this school?"