THIRTY NINE

I don't go back to Summer and the others immediately

Instead, I choose to wander around the area for a bit just for the sake of walking around for a while. Austin texts me, asking me to go back and not wander around on my own and I'm just left to wonder about how he knows about this. However, I ignore his text. I'm not a child he needs to take care of anymore.

With a sigh, I exit the hotel premises. I have a good memory - I'll remember the way even if I wander off alone in this area. By chance, if I get lost, I can always call someone up to get me. I'm almost certain that it's not going to happen, though. I'm just a few feet away from the hotel when I catch the sight of an alley. The light flickers a few times, making my eyes go to a familiar figure standing there.

Before I can do anything, the light goes completely off, the alley consumed by darkness. The only thing that's not making it completely dark is the light from the main street. The person standing there brings a cigarette to their mouth and exhales the smoke, leaning against the wall with his other hand in his pocket. Without thinking much, I quietly walk inside the alley. He doesn't seem to notice me, which is good enough.

"You smoke too?" I ask. I don't need to be loud since it's quiet here.

He startles a bit, his eyes towards me and relaxing before bringing the cigarette to his lips again. "You," he says, his voice breathy and soft. "Why are you here?" I walk a bit closer to him, just to see his face more clearly. He eyes me but doesn't say anything.

"I was walking," I say simply. "I didn't want to be with the others for some time."

He scoffs, turning away and leaning his head backwards, closing his eyes. "Just say you were meeting your brother."

I freeze in the fear that he might have heard the conversation between me and him. If he did, then it would spoil things for me and I don't like it at all when things don't go my way. He opens his eyes and evaluates my expression, shrugging it off. "Don't worry, I didn't eavesdrop. I just saw you come out of the hotel when you were busy looking at your phone and guessed it. Your face says that I'm right."

I bite my lip, unsure of what to say. He doesn't look good but I guess neither do I - I've just gulped down a beer bottle and drowsiness is getting to my head, making me feel a little tired already. It may already show in my eyes and I can only hope that he can't see my eyes. "I was meeting him. I haven't met in over six months or something."

He whistles. "So how did it go? Your little reunion?"

"Good," I answer but my voice comes out lower and less bolder than it ever has when I'm with him. He notices this but doesn't choose to comment on it. He doesn't say anything for a while, just looks at me as if trying to figure something out. I sigh. "How often do you smoke?"

He shrugs, looking away. "Not often. Do you?"

I shake my head. "No," I tell him.

He raises his eyebrow. "Do you want to try it?"