TWENTY THREE

❝Blessed are the hearts that can bend; they shall never be broken

❝Blessed are the hearts that can bend; they shall never be broken.❞

— Saint Francis de Sales

I see him turn around a corner of a building and sigh in relief

I've been running for over a minute continuously and am almost out of breath. My legs ache because I've over exerted and I feel like I'm going to fall any moment. I relax a bit when I see him again but resume to sprint after a second.

"Hey, Sam!" I shout when I turn around the corner and he's halfway through. He stops for a bit, turns to look at me, but then resumes walking as if he never saw me. So that's how he's going to treat me now, huh? It is quite understandable considering the situation but I still didn't want him to be alone right now.

I keep running after him for some more time until I've catched up with him. I breathe heavily while walking behind him, waiting for him to slow down and stop but he doesn't. I knew Remi's words would have such an effect on him. I shouldn't have let it happen. I shouldn't have let him say and get away with it.

I shouldn't have let him get hurt.

God, I'm such an idiot.

"Hey, Sam, please stop for a moment," I say, the breathlessness obvious in my voice but he doesn't. "Hey-" I reach for his arm but he pulls away from me. "Sam, what the hell, stop for a second."

He finally stops and clears his throat. "What the hell do you want right now?"

I bite my lip, taking a step towards him carefully. "I want you to talk to me."

He scoffs. He now completely faces me with a small, unbelievable smile on his face. "You really think I want to talk to you right now?" He takes multiple steps backwards and shakes his head before turning around and continuing to walk. "Leave me alone, Harley. We have nothing to talk about. If it's something important, just text me. See you tomorrow."

He begins to walk again and I run a hand through my hair, frustrated. My eyes go to the building right next to us and I see a door, which I realise is the back entrance of the school building. Without thinking I reach forward for Sam once again, holding his arm as tight as I can and before he can protest, I drag him towards the door.