TWENTY SIX

❝To become truly great, one has to stand with people, not above them

❝To become truly great, one has to stand with people, not above them.❞

— Baron de Montesquieu

I've never stood in such a tense environment before

We've all been in the auditorium for five minutes and we're standing on the stage with the second and third year dance students seated in the back rows, looking at us. There's something in their smiles that confirms everything I've thought about this evaluation. My eyes go to Nate, who's sitting two seats away from another third year student, leaning against the wall and looking right at me.

He catches me staring at him.

Winks.

I look away and rest my eyes at Valeria, who's sitting behind a table placed at the centre with two other teachers. They're engaged in some conversation about something. By the looks of it, it looks like it's something important. The students around me aren't even talking to each other. Remi is standing all alone with a smug expression, occasionally glaring at Line, Sam or me.

Line, Akira and Freva are standing together. Line looks like she's about to break down any moment, Akira and Freva look more anxious than ever. Zia standing next to me quietly. Leo and Zed are together at the other end of the stage, standing next to each other but they haven't said a single word since they've arrived. My eyes then go to Sam, who's standing at the edge of the stage, looking like he doesn't care about anything at all.

The other group looks even more broken than us. None of them are even standing or even looking at each other. And thinking about it, I don't think the group has even met once as a whole after Tuesday. They've probably had it worse than us.

"Alright everyone," Valeria finally says, "Line up in your groups. Rhea's not here today, she's at the doctor's doing the final check. She will be joining all of you from the next evaluation." Rhea was the tenth girl who was supposed to be in our group but had an injury, making her unfit to participate.

Hearing her, the students on the stage start to group. No one makes a single sound as they stand together.

"So, which one of you want to go first?" Valeria asks seriously and if I didn't know what the deal with this was, I'd be getting way too much anxiety just like the others in here right now. When none of us reply, Valeria speaks again. "Well? No reply? You know that this assignment cost you a part of your grade right?"