TWENTY SEVEN

❝It is our choice of good or evil that determines our character, not our opinion about good of evil

❝It is our choice of good or evil that determines our character, not our opinion about good of evil.❞

— Aristotle

The third dance instructor told us to reach the collective training studio

I’ve never been there before so I just follow the others while walking there. I’m among Freva and Zia, who’re both on their phones. Not that I’m inclined to have a conversation with anyone at the moment. I’m really tired and want to go back to my dorm and sleep right now, which is probably what I’ll do the moment I reach my room.

Right then, my phone vibrates in my bag. I sling it forward to take it out to find a familiar number flash across the screen.

Nate: One turn behind you towards your right. Take a left.

Sighing, I type in a quick reply.

Harley: What happened to you needing me only when it’s necessary?

The read receipt turns blue, showing that he’s read my text. In a few seconds, his reply pops up.

Nate: It’s not about that. Just be here rn.

I close my phone and look at Freva. “I’ll be back.”

“Where are you going?” she raises her eyebrows in question.

I press my lips together and point towards my phone. “I’ve to call my mom.”

She rolls her eyes. “Didn’t know you were momma’s girl. Anyways, go. I can’t cover for you for long.”

“Thanks,” I say with a smile before turning back and following the instructions written on the text.

When I turn left, I find Nate leaning against the walk, just like the first time I met him. His expression is a mix of amusement and something I can’t figure out. He looks at me when I’m there but doesn’t say anything for a while.

“What do you want?” I finally say, breaking the silence.

He lets out a sigh before looking away from me. “So, you actually are smart, huh? You knew about the markings?”