THIRTY SEVEN

You don't strike me as the kind of person who'd come to a party

You don't strike me as the kind of person who'd come to a party. Just go bury yourself in some physics textbook and enjoy your day like that.

Lily's words echo in my mind. I've never been petty but I really want to be now. It's been a while since I dressed up properly for something. Months, in fact. My wardrobe is open and I'm staring at the piles of neatly arranged clothes and the other clothes that I've used hangers for. I don't know what to wear since I didn't know I'd actually be going to a party this early into the year.

Summer Laurent is the daughter of Estella and Winston Laurent, both of whom run a successful company together. Since she's rich and talented, she became a social media influencer three years ago and showed up in commercials and shows because of her dancing skills - making her a famous personality. It's natural that she's going to have a big party and judging by the location, I'm damn sure it is.

I'm pretty sure that the parents of a few students are going to show up as well.

It takes me a few minutes to decide upon an outfit. Since Jude isn't in here, I change in the room itself, not wanting to go to the changing room.

I wear a dark red lace up back crop top along with skinny black ripped jeans. I wear doc martens with them and begin to set my hair when I receive a notification. It's a picture of Rhea, showing off her outfit.

She's wearing a crop top of the same colour as mine along with black jeans and black coloured shoes. We're twinning - without even deciding upon it. The idea of it makes me smile. I open my camera and click a picture of myself, sending it to her.

The read receipt lights up almost instantly.

Rhea: Omg we're twinning.

I smile but don't reply and resume to set my hair. I comb through them for a while before leaving them as they are. I don't bother to tie them - I let them be untied and wavy, making me look better. I almost want to do my makeup but despite the amount of makeup I own, I don't know shit about it. I look at my elbow. The swelling isn't much visible now even though I still feel a bit of throbbing pain.

My phone rings and I see that it's Ryker. "The cab's here and if you're done dressing up, can we leave?"

Ryker's been excited to go. Not because we're going to Summer's party but because he doesn't want to spend a Saturday night in the dorms. The weekends are the only time when we're allowed to go out of the school and since we had tons of assignments to complete over the weekend, we couldn't always go out. Coming to think of it, Summer was right. I hadn't been out of this place in the past three weeks, making Summer's eighteenth birthday party the first outing for me in months.

I cut the call with Ryker, telling him that I'll be there in two minutes. On my way outside, I see a few students glance at me and whisper about something. Speaking of which, the rumour about me has actually faded ever since Summer has begun being friendly with me. Nate and Asher were right about it. I meet up with the others.