FORTY TWO

There is one thing that I've realised in the past hour: Samuel fucking Andrews is the most annoying person when it comes to me tutoring him

We're sitting in his room right now, the curtains between his area and his roommate's drawn open. Carl Travis sits on his bed, his red hair dripping wet. He's momentarily glancing at us and laughing at the way I'm getting annoyed by him but I can't exactly be mad at him. He's reminding me of Jude and I can assure you that it's just not because of the red hair. If I didn't know better, I would say that Carl and Jude are siblings.

"Sam, fucking hell-" I cut off, sighing. "I just told you to use that formula."

He lets out a groan in frustration and leans back, annoyed. "I hate math so fucking much. It's just a bunch of attention seeking numbers."

I lean back against the wall, reaching for the water bottle and taking a sip. He leans back too, grabbing his phone from his side and beginning to scroll through it. Seeing that, I know that he isn't going to study anymore anyways. Not that he actually has in the past hour - he's been doing two questions and we've gotten fifteen in this week's math assignment.

"I'm tired," he announces with a sigh, not looking up even once.

Carl snorts. "You've literally done nothing at all, asshole."

"Shut up," Sam snaps at him but the other guy just shrugs him off, going back to whatever he's doing. When Sam finally looks at me, he gestures towards the door. "Let's take a walk for a while."

I hum and get off his bed, putting on my shoes once again and standing up. I make my way to the door and he follows me. I hold it open as he exits, sending one look to Carl. "See you around, Carl," I call out to him.

He looks up and smiles. "Yeah, yeah. Next time you come over, help me with my assignments as well."

I roll my eyes. "What am I, your private tutor?"

"You can be," he suggests but I brush him off, closing the door. The hallways aren't empty and I'm earning looks from the guys around me. There is no rule that says that girls cannot enter the boys dormitory but finding me, a Calliope girl, here? That must be a little weird for them to digest, I guess. Since the Melpomene dorms are on the first floor, we take the stairs. Reaching downstairs, I immediately realise how cold I am and how lucky I am to be wearing full sleeves at a moment like this.

Sam and I begin to walk away from the dorms, stepping out of Minerva and taking up the path that would lead us to the opposite side of the campus, the part where there are more stores for the students' convenience. I've only been there twice because I never saw the need to be there. This is the first time I'm walking somewhere with Sam alone without having anything to talk about with him.

I had thought that it would have been too awkward between us as we didn't talk much ever since the night he broke down and confided in me. He was probably regretting it now that I think of it. The fact that he isn't aware of my deal with Nate. A heavy feeling settles down in my stomach as I think of Nate and our kiss. I didn't regret it but the fact that Sam is so clueless about everything that is happening almost breaks my heart.