FORTY SIX

Chapter Forty Six

I've never really thought of myself as a good person.

Maybe that's the reason why I've always had a fucked up family life. No one in my family is particularly good as a person, and therefore, they're not good at taking care of people. That's the same with me - I'm not good at comforting or making people feel better and I have stopped trying to do that long ago. I'm fine as I am. I don't want to change.

I don't need to change.

Wednesday is one hell of a day for me. Hayette confronts me again and thankfully, doesn't punch me or anything because we're in class and Julian is right next to us. One thing I've noticed about her is that she only gets too harsh when there is no risk of being caught by someone like Julian. She doesn't take any sort of action in public which really worked for me today.

Jude sees but does not ask me about how my cheek got swollen. The others don't either, though I'm pretty sure that they notice it. It's during the third class of the day when the speaker system comes to life.

"Asher Hale, Penny Bridgette, Nathan Andrews, Harper Trent, please report to the Principal's office on urgent basis."

I lean back on my chair as people around me begin to speculate about the situation. It's not everyday that someone is called into the principal's office by Roma. Especially with two members of the student council, the second ranker, and the chess champion of the school. I see Elliot look at me and raise his eyebrows in question but I shrug it off, ignoring it.

Elliot is so much smarter than everyone else around here. He doesn't look like he believes me. I'm sure he's going to wait for the rumours to begin.

It isn't until lunch when I open my phone again. There's been an announcement on the forum and this is probably one of the few times when I have seen something on there without the others needing to remind me. It's done directly by Roma, for once, instead of Kal or someone else.

Student council applications are now open.
Only two spots are available for the first years as of now.
T
he application forms have been linked below.
For more details, please contact:
Miss Roma (Adviser & Principle)
Asher Hale (President)
Nathan Andrews (Vice President)
Samantha Frey (Secretary)

"Are you going to apply for it?" Elliot asks me.

I look up from my phone. "Nope."

"Let me guess," Leo walks up to us, a smile on his face. "'I don't think I'm suited for a role like this because I'm well aware of what I can and cannot do?' I mean, that's what you say every time, don't you?"

"Shut up," I mutter under my breath.

"Did he lie?" Elliot laughs.

"I didn't." Leo sits down in Hayette's place knowing well enough that if she sees him, she'll get mad. But at this point, he's done it so many times that he doesn't care about it at all. Or at least, unless she hits him too. "I know she's going to say that. But you know what? You'd actually make a great member. With Asher being the president and all."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" I ask him, referring to the part where he said Asher's name.

"I mean," he whistles, "honestly, both of you would work well together. I don't know why I'm saying this but it's just in the, you know, vibes."

"Vibes," Elliot snorts. "Yeah, right. Weren't you the one shipping these two like a week ago?"

"You were shipping us?" My voice is so full of disbelief because I didn't expect Leo to be one of the glorious souls whose coping mechanism is shipping me with every senior I talk to.