NINETEEN

❝He who has never learnt to obey cannot be a good commander

❝He who has never learnt to obey cannot be a good commander.❞

— Aristotle

He doesn't notice me until I'm almost seated right behind him

I sit down cross legged and he turns to see me, raising his eyebrows. If this was something that happened a while ago, I'd be flustered and embarrassed but right now, I had a reason to come here. Coming to think of it, I've never approached Reece on my own. It's always him who initiates conversations and carries them. I'm the one who tries to cut them short.

His eyes scream, what the hell are you doing here?

I'm about to say something when the girl next to him speaks up. "Hey, aren't you the girl from the locker room who was late?"

I blink before managing to flash a small smile and nod. "Yeah, I'm her."

"Oh," she says, "I didn't know you knew Reece."

I don't know what to say, so I just smile and nod once before looking back at Reece. Our eyes meet for a second before he sighs and turns away. The girl's eyes flick between me and him repeatedly with a questioning look on her face. The situation cannot be any more awkward.

"Do you want something?" he asks me. His tone is soft but still has a cold edge to it.

"I want to talk," I say to him. "To you."

"Then talk," he says and I roll my eyes. The girl and I exchange looks and I'm glad that she understands what I meant because she gets up and stretches herself. I silently thank her for it.

"I'll talk to you later, Reece." She turns to me and smiles. "You too..." she trails off.

"Harley," I introduce myself. Her eyes tell me that she recognises the name but doesn't comment on it. "And you are?"

"Oh, right. Sorry. I'm Pari." She tucks a strand of her brown hair behind her ear and begins walking away after waving to me. She joins her group of friends without sparing another glance at us. I look at Reece, who's still looking at her with an expression I very well know.