FIFTY ONE

April 5th, 2020
( TWO YEARS AGO )

He didn't know how it happened-all he remembered was the momentary shock he had felt when the results had been released and he had been the first ranker. However, that wasn't it.

He'd ranked first along with another guy, someone named Asher Hale. Asher Hale, a guy he'd heard about a couple times since Vera was in the same business as Hale's father. He'd never met him but he had heard about him a lot-about how he'd be one of the most popular designers of the generation if only he could get into Redville.

He hadn't expected him so soon but when a pair of hands slammed on the table Nate sat on and shook when he had finally looked up, meeting those brooding, dark eyes of his biggest competitor.

He did nothing but hold his gaze, accepting the silent challenge the other boy had begun.

"So you're Nathan Andrews?" Asher asked carefully, cocking an eyebrow.

Nate leaned back casually, crossing his arms over his chest. "Nate, actually, but yeah."

"I'm Asher Hale," he replied. His voice was cocky, his body language showing how arrogant he was. Everybody in the cafeteria was watching the interaction silently. What would be better than watching two people who started off from the same rank have a showdown on their first day? "I heard you're in the dance program?"

"I am. I don't think I know about yours," Nate lied, a small smirk playing on his lips. He did know that Asher was a fashion student, and he also knew that Asher was aware that he was lying.

He answered anyway. "It's Fashion." With a sigh, he sat back, grabbing the spare water bottle and opening it, taking a sip. "It's an amazing coincidence, isn't it? Both of scoring the exact same marks and getting the best rank? You might as well be the best competition that I ever have."

"All because I ranked alongside you?" Nate let out a small laugh. "Gotta say, that's a wild assumption."

"Is it the wrong one?"

"I wouldn't know that, Hale. Do I look like a psychic to you?"

The corner of his lips tugged upwards and runs a hand through his neatly combed hair. There was an air of authority around him-the kind of aura that would intimidate and make people respect him by instinct.

Before he could say anything, a girl with wavy blond hair and minimal makeup kept her hands on the back of one of the empty chairs and smiled brightly, looking at Nate with her bright blue eyes.

"Looks like the interesting people are having a chat," she exclaimed. "I'll be a part of it whether you like it or not. So, attractive people, what are we talking about?"

"Really?" Asher asked, bored. "This isn't a goddamn club."

"Well, it should be," the girl said again. She sat down, keeping one leg above the other and intertwining her fingers at her knees, her smile never fading. "Oh, I'm sorry. I know I'm a bit rude sometimes but I won't be from here on. We're in a club together after all."

"There's no club," Nate mumbled.

Her head snapped towards Nate. "There will be. Someday. Somewhere." Her smile faltered and she face palmed herself, clicking her tongue. "I'm so dumb. I forgot to introduce myself." She extended her hand towards Asher. "I'm Summer Laurent. Dance student. Ranked first, by the way. Nice to meet you."