FIVE

❝Sometimes, you put walls up not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down

❝Sometimes, you put walls up not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down.❞

— Socrates

"Don't scream

"Don't scream."

I'm frozen. A chill goes down to me as my eyes move to the left, the guy now a bit visible to me. I'm debating whether I should bite his hand or not, but he doesn't take another moment to wait for me to do something. He opens the classroom door that's a few steps beside us and drags me there. He removes his hand from my face, which I'm thankful for.

I hear Asher and Lily talking about whether someone's there or not. I think Asher even comes to check that spot but goes away since I hear the fading footsteps. I sigh. I can't mess anything up if I want to succeed.

"Can you let go of me now?" I say quietly to the boy whose fingers are still wrapped around my wrist. He steps back in realisation, instantly letting me go. It's relatively dark in this room, the only source of light being the windows on our left.

"What, no thank you?" he asks me, his voice flat. "I just saved your ass out there."

"I didn't ask for your help," I mutter. "I could've handled it myself."

"Yeah, sure," he says in disbelief. "Why were you after them? That's Asher Hale we're talking about. You want him to notice you that bad, huh?"

"Shut up."

"You're a first year, right? If he finds you snooping around like that, he's gonna make your life here a living hell."

I look up at him, searching for his eyes. But the light isn't enough for me to tell me what I need to know. I've already got questions about him. Why was he here in the first place? Why did he even help me?

"What's your name?" he then asks me. I'm surprised he doesn't know, but at the same time, not everyone knows how I look yet. I'd prefer it if I keep it that way. I'm not here to make friends, or even allies. I'm just here to finish what was started. I'll do anything to do that but I'll do it alone.

"Why would I tell you?" I deadpan.

"Consider it a payback for saving you. You're gonna owe me otherwise."