TWENTY TWO

❝The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places

❝The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.❞

— Ernest Hemmingway

Thursday.

It's the most hectic day since school began two weeks ago, honestly. Starting off, the homeroom period was taken up with a surprise quiz, with three questions of different difficulty levels from each subject. Since we haven't learnt anything much during the past week, it was very easy to pass. However, because of two days with the sports evaluation, some students appeared to be stressed with the test because of the gap in studies.

I was the first person to finish the quiz, surprising everyone in the room. Kal collected my sheet and within the next ten minutes, half the class had either successfully completed the sheets or completely given up and wrote random things to submit.

We were told that the results of the quiz would be displayed by tomorrow on the class groups and it would add to our entrance scores and the rankings would be updated on Saturday for the first time for us first years.

Nothing special happened throughout the day except the teachers piling us up with worksheets and giving a deadline. The rankings could be affected if any submission is delayed. The free periods were spent by the people talking about how difficult the sheets are and that there was no way they'd be able to submit this by Monday.

During lunch, I sat with Reece. Cammy wasn't there. He told me that she's skipping school today and that the bullying and assumptions about the rumours are making her sick. We had met on Tuesday after my dance rehearsal and he'd told me everything he knew about the situation, which wasn't much to work with but just enough to know that the assumptions the people were making were far too inaccurate and delusional.

We had exchanged phone numbers then but neither of us had texted each other even once. It felt like we were both just using each other to calm the situation down a little. It seemed like the situation wasn't popular among the first years but among the second and third years, things were getting heated. There were more rumours about a rift, but not enough to suppress the growing speculations about what Cammy did.