TWENTY NINE

A scandalmonger is a person who stirs up public outrage towards someone or their actions by spreading rumours or malicious gossip

A scandalmonger is a person who stirs up public outrage towards someone or their actions by spreading rumours or malicious gossip. They're the cause for ruining the lives and publicity of a person and I'm supposed to be one of them right now.

My phone's exploding with notifications. Jude's left for the classes already, asking me whether I was sure that I wanted to take off this early into the school year five times before leaving me alone. I'm still in a tank top and shorts, not caring to even get up from my bed. Our school allows three leaves per month for a student and I've just used the first one.

I snuggle into my blanket, reading the text on my phone.

Unknown: Are you sure about this, Lee?

I type a 'Yes' as a reply and the read receipt shows up within a second, indicating that she's read my text already. Since last night, she's been trying to convince me to not do what I'm making her do but at this point, she's given up as well. A typing mark shows up but disappears in five seconds. A small thumbs up emoji shows up on my screen instead.

Right then, there's a knock on my door. Closing my phone, I call out, "Who's it?"

"It's me," Reece's familiar voice speaks up.

"Come in." The door parts open and he enters the room slowly. His eyes fall on me and my miserable look but he doesn't comment on it as he walks towards my side of the room. His blond hair is messy as always and he's in the school uniform with the top button open. I realise he's changed his earring to a plain black one.

He pulls out my chair and keeps it in front of my bed. Sitting down, he's on my eye level. He leans forward to the point his face is too close to mine and I have to bend back a bit to keep myself from feeling his breath on my face. "What the fuck do you think you just did?" he finally whispers to me, his eyes never leaving mine. An expression flashes behind his eyes and I almost feel scared with the emotion I'm seeing.

"I did what I had to," I reply as calmly as I can but I know I can't think straight when I'm this close to him. "I told you I'd end this situation for Cammy no matter what. You owe me now, by the way."

He clicks his tongue. "I owe you? That's what you care about right now?"

"You asked me to help you and I agreed. All I'm doing is holding up my end of the deal."

"That doesn't mean you'd spread something this weird about yourself." His gaze makes a shiver go down my spine. "You know what you've just done, right? Your life is going to hell now."

I close my eyes and open them again, trying to shake off the weird feeling away. "If I cared about that then I wouldn't have done it in the first place." My breath hitches and I scoot back, my cheeks growing warm. I still keep my composure and do an average job at it. "No one has to know that I've done it myself, by the way. Keep it a secret."