Devinette

Elijah went to find Sophie while I stayed with Marcel in case his vampires found or heard anything. Once Elijah left, I started to panic. And I mean, really panic.

I was scared.

Scared I would never see them again.

Scared I would lose my bestfriend, and the man I love. My baby's father.

So many thoughts ran through my head of what they both could be going through. The amount of pain they could be in, the suffering. My heart was beating out of my chest and I was sure that I was a bigger mess than Elijah at this point.

I felt Marcel place a hand on my shoulder, probably trying to comfort me seeing how stressed I was. However, I couldn't deal with that right now so I shrugged his hand off. I placed my hands back in my hair and tried to calm myself down but my thoughts weren't helping.

"Anything?" Elijah's voice brought me back to reality.

Marcel moved away from me to go talk to Elijah. "They're putting eyes and ears out everywhere. Daywalkers are working every contact we've got, cops, dock workers, guys in the Treme. Word is out; anyone trying to earn favor with me gets a lifetime of it if they find them."

"Good. I need a pen and paper."

He walked out and into a study room where I rushed after him.

"Hayley!" He shouted.

He took off his jacket and shirt, leaving me to notice the names written all over his body.

"Elijah! You're back." Hayley started, walking into the room. "Did you find any-" She gaped at Elijah's chest when she finally noticed him. "-thing? What is happening?"

I rolled my eyes and walked to the back of Elijah reading the names, not recognizing a lot of them.

"I need you to make a list of these names." He instructed Hayley.

She walked over and circled him, reading all the names just as I did. "Sabine? Elijah, what is this?"

"I believe they represent the names of the women Celeste inhabited for the past two centuries."

Marcel joined us in room, handing Hayley a pen and paper. "It's called a Devinette. It's old school. Kind of a riddle. Witches use them to teach their kids. Solve it, and it disappears."

"Why? What's the point?" Hayley asked.

Elijah asked. "Celeste forced me to make a choice between the two of you and my siblings, and now she means to mock that choice, taunting me with a childish game. The longer the game, the more they suffer. To find Klaus and Rebekah, we need to solve this riddle. The solution lies somewhere in these names."

Marcel scanned through a few of the names. "The name next to Sabine... Annie La Fleur, she's the witch that was shunned from her coven just over a year ago. Never knew why, but I can find out."

-

Turns out Annie was shunned by her coven for practicing dark magic after which she killed herself. Apparently it was unlike Annie to practice dark magic, which means it was definitely Celeste.

Hayley and I had Elijah on speaker since they went out to the Quarter to find that out.

"She drowned herself in the Mississippi, to be precise. Celeste was clearly tired of the body and ready to take Sabine's." Elijah explained.

"How do you know that?" Hayley asked.

"Because she leaped to her death from the very location Celeste and I had our first kiss."