Ascendant

"Phasmatos Tribum, Nas Ex Veras, Sequitas Sanguinem." Bonnie chanted the locator spell but the blood still hasn't moved from its spot on the map. "It doesn't feel right. Maybe I need a bigger map?"

Damon walked into the room and threw the newspaper down on the table. "Maybe you're just out of practice and you suck at magic now."

"Ignore him, Bonnie." Kai instructed. "Pretend he's a white-noise machine. That's how I used to tune out my siblings. I grew up with a ton of little sisters and brothers. You know, all of them constantly yammering." He walked up closer to Bonnie. "But it taught me how to focus."

If I didn't know better, Kai was now close enough to Bonnie and also looked like he was trying to hit on her.

"Easy big brother! She doesn't know you. At least buy her a drink." Damon joked.

Bonnie continued to work on the spell with a map of the entire United States.

"Phasmatos Tribum, Nas Ex Veras, Sequitas Sanguinem. Phasmatos Tribum, Nas Ex Veras, Sequitas Sanguinem."

This time, the blood moved across the map.

"The spell's moving towards Virgina. That can't be right." Kai pointed out.

"Mm-mm, the spell's working." Bonnie assured. "It's showing me Mystic Falls. It feels so... close." She turned to Kai and held up her hand, causing the candles' flames intensify. "It's right...here." She said, pressing down on his chest as the flames went out completely.

Kai reached into his pocket and pulled out something which I assume is the Ascendant. "Very good."

"That's the Ascendant?" Bonnie asked.

"The one and only."

"Thanks for the mind games, jackass." Damon commented.

"It was just another little test. To make sure Bonnie's magic was precise enough for the spell. I do believe you're ready. Pack your bags - we're going home."

-

We went outside and Kai was wandering around the whole yard looking through a small hole in the ascendant.

"You're wondering around like a crazy man, why?" I questioned.

"Looking for the exact right spot. We need to find where the power of the eclipse is focused."

"You know you could have just shown us the Ascendant to begin with." Bonnie stated, crossing her arms.

"Yeah, but I wanted to feel your hand on my chest."

"There's something not right about him." Bonnie mumbled.

"You're just not used to guys hitting on you." Damon replied.

"You know, I can't wait to get out of here and talk to somebody else."

"Can we just have a few lasting seconds of peace while this idiot uses that thing to get the stars to align?"

Bonnie picked up a paper plane made from a newspaper from the ground. She unfolded it and began to read.

"Oregon."

"What?" Damon asked.

"I read this paper like a thousand times, and there's something in it about Oregon."

"What about it?"

"You know, Kai said he had all these brothers and sisters."

She began to read from the newspaper. "Family massacred in Portland. The only on missing was the oldest boy, a 22 year-old named Malachai."