2

Zayn Malik

Fuck.

I had a constant migraine for the past two months and now it seemed to have grown stronger.

Maybe because Harry's mother was sitting right in front of me. Yeah... Anne was very fucking alive after all.

We were actually in a cafe just around the corner of Harry's penthouse in L.A., and I was waiting for him to call me so he could let me know if he had arrived or not. Well, I wasn't even sure if he had landed or not, but he texted me before he got on the plane.

It'd been almost two days since I called him and I was very anxious about seeing him again, especially since his presence in the U.S. was a very reckless thing. But in a way, it was smart. Kinda like when he started working with Cleo, no one ever expected it... and no one would expect them to be back.

I was feeling like shit and my life had turned upside down and then scrambled, everything was such a fucking mess that I had a feeling I'd never be able to untangle myself from this chaos. So I might as well learn how to live with it.

Where to start... maybe with the fact Cleo and Harry were running away from the FBI and acting very fucking stupid. That's when it all went to shit: with their brilliant idea of sneaking into that masquerade. They didn't tell me about it because they knew I'd say that was the most terrible plan they could think of.

And look where it got us.

Desmond and Catherine were dead, and a whole bunch of other people part of New York's elite had also been burned alive.

I know I only mentioned bad people that deserved to die, the whole idea of that damn auction was sickening. But Cleo and Harry knew about the FBI case, Amber had asked them to lay low for a reason and they threw it all away very much carelessly, doing the exact opposite of what she asked.

And then they ran away.

Those crazy motherfuckers really had no grasp of reality and I was doing my best to help because I couldn't let them die, especially Harry. I loved him and he was my best friend, I was so fucking worried when I got his text saying he would call me, around five days after he ran away.

I thought he would never get in touch again, and I was a bit upset that he left me in the middle of this shitshow, but I had to remind myself of the things he and Cleo had gone through. I knew it wasn't easy, and they were very fucking stubborn and impulsive.

Five days was also enough for me to find out a lot of things after he left... things I still hadn't told Harry. Amber called me that night of the fire, and of course I didn't think twice before going to her apartment like the weak son of a bitch I was. She told me it was very important and she sounded so worried, I just had to know what it was.

But when I saw Anne walking into Amber's apartment, my heart nearly stopped in my chest.

She was alive... and I just knew Harry wouldn't take this very well. The fact she actually left him instead of dying would crush him, so that's why I didn't hesitate to agree when she asked me to keep my mouth shut about this.

Trust me, keeping this from Harry was eating me alive, but I didn't know which was worse: the fact Amber knew all along about Anne and that she was the informant or the small detail that Anne was behind the list.

She wasn't the only one though... because fucking Cindy was also helping her. Cindy and some guy named Liam, they were siblings and also the

unknown kids from the files Cleo had shown Amber.

They were unknown because Anne had rescued them and helped them restart a new life, with new names and new families. But I didn't blame them for wanting some kind of revenge, it was hard to judge someone when you knew the awful things they had gone through.