41

Zayn Malik

Cleo texted me at three a.m., saying it was an emergency and that I needed to go meet them back at the house, and thank god my phone wasn't on silent because I was sleeping very deeply once I heard it vibrate.

I was a bit tired because I was working from the hotel, making sure the deals in New York were still running smoothly. Tais was helping me a lot and the situation over there was still chaotic. We had our clients but everyone was acting weird ever since Desmond and Catherine died.

To be honest, I couldn't wait until I could finally quit.

I'd called Amber tonight so I could see Ella, they were finally out of the hospital and she already looked bigger. Maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me but it really seemed like she was growing so fast. Sometimes she opened her eyes too, and she didn't look too much like a knee anymore, using Harry's words.

She was always beautiful to me, but she did look healthier.

Amber was calling me every day so I could see my daughter and I was very fucking thankful, this was sweet of her and just what I needed to keep me grounded. I'd talk to Ella as if she could understand me, but I just wanted her to know I was there even if I was far away for now.

I was quite proud of us though, Amber and I were being mature with this whole co-parenting and it was working out just fine. I didn't feel as pressured.

I couldn't wait to go back to New York and be with them though, which was why I was feeling a bit anxious about this text from Cleo. I knew she and Harry needed a little time so they could heal before they risked their lives again, and things were too calm. We didn't know exactly where Liam was or what would happen next.

The calm before the storm, as I often told Harry.

Ash was being helpful and keeping an eye on the gangs and the whole bounty situation, and it seemed like they were safe for now. But I knew it wouldn't last long and I was so fucking worried Cleo had texted because someone was trying to break in or something like that.

But it was also weird how Harry didn't call me. If it was an emergency like 'someone is in the house and we need your help', Harry would've called.

Actually, I was pretty sure they would've handled themselves.

Maybe they were reaching out after shit hit the fan, like usual. They knew they could count on me, I was in L.A. to help them.

I didn't know though, something about this just didn't seem right.

I quickly got dressed in simple black pants and a black shirt, not even bothering to tame my messy hair before I grabbed my keys and left the hotel. My hair was getting longer and I needed to cut it, but I wasn't having a lot of time to think about that.

My eyes were wide and alert and it felt like someone had thrown a bucket of ice-cold water at my face to wake me up.

The drive to the house was quick and calm, the streets were quite empty because it was the middle of the night and I was driving on the edge of the speed limit, feeling this weird pit in my stomach.

I wasn't expecting to get a text like this, the last time Harry woke me up in the middle of the night was when he asked me to look after Cleo, and she ended up being kidnapped. So you can say I had a reason to feel so fucking anxious.

Now I didn't know what to expect the moment I parked my car on the driveway. I knew Ash had asked some of her men to watch the house but they knew me and my car, so I hoped they wouldn't shoot me because it was dark.

But I managed to walk to the front porch without any interruptions, right when Cleo opened the front door with a flushed face and tears falling from her wide blue eyes.