35

Zayn Malik

I had never felt so fucking anxious in my entire life, and these had been the most stressful 48 hours.

From waking up in the middle of the night because Harry called and asked me to take care of Cleo, to actually receiving a call from Amber only minutes later to let me know she was in labor.

Fuck.

I had no idea how she was so fucking calm, I knew she had years of training to control her emotions because of the FBI, but I was losing my fucking mind and I wasn't calm at all.

She was barely seven months pregnant and I did my research, I started reading a few books about pregnancy after she told me she was pregnant.

I knew that premature babies usually had to stay at the hospital's neonatal intensive care unit until it was safe, that is if they were born without any serious complications.

I didn't know why Amber was so early and she scared me to death when she told me she was bleeding a little, but the nurse explained that was normal when the baby was early.

There could be a lot of reasons but none of them mattered now.

Amber was okay, she was so fucking strong... and we were both looking at our daughter right now.

We were in the NICU of the hospital, there were three other babies in this room. They put her in this acrylic box with only two holes on the side so we could reach out our hands to touch her, but she was so fucking small that I was afraid to do so.

I arrived in New York a little too late and she had already given birth by the time I came to the hospital, I had never rushed so much in my life. I just wanted them to be safe and healthy, and we were very fucking lucky.

There could've been so many complications... both Amber and the baby could've died and I would've lost my shit if that was the case.

I had no idea it'd feel like this, I was so fucking happy. How was it possible to love someone this much when she wasn't even out of the womb for three full days? I already knew she was the best thing that would ever happen to me.

Completely unexpected, but somehow just what I needed.

Amber said she looked like me, but the baby still looked too small and like any other baby to me. I just didn't want to suck at this whole father thing, that's why I spent my entire flight overthinking.

"She's a little angel." Amber smiled, glancing sideways at me. "Funny, considering her parents."

"Did you pick a name yet?" I asked her, realizing I still hadn't asked this question.

I told Amber she could pick on her own since she was the one carrying the child, but I'd been so worried about them that I didn't even think of this detail. My brain was a mess and only now I could feel myself relaxing properly.

Fuck, she was so small.

"Ella," Amber said, keeping her dark eyes on mine. "It was my grandmother's name... do you like it?"

"I love it." I smiled, chuckling under my breath.

It was like I could finally breathe again, I hadn't eaten anything or slept at all in the past two days. I only worried about my daughter and Amber, and they were okay.

I knew little Ella would have to stay in the hospital for a few more days, but the doctors said she was healthy and things were under control. This meant Amber would have to focus more on her than on work, and I didn't want her to worry about Harry and Cleo's situation anymore. I'd take care of it.