We said forever

PURE ANGST

You have been in a coma for the past 15 years. Every time your wife, Hermione, had time, she'd come visit you. You both had gotten married at 22, and you went into a coma at 25. Hermione sat beside you, smiling weakly and holding your hand, talking to you.

"I remember when we were kids... I would always get onto you for doing stupid shit. We would cuddle by a lake. Ha, you would always catch the fish with your hands then release them. Always cracking jokes, and you got along with everyone. But you always wanted me."

She kissed your hand and watched as you breathed. "Happy birthday, my beautiful wife..." It was your 40th birthday. It had been 15 years, and you were missing so much. A doctor came in, eyes full of pity. "Don't you think it's time to pull the plug?"

Hermione stood up fast, tears pricking her eyes. "No! We said forever..." The doctor put a hand on her shoulder. "She's barely alive, Mrs. Granger. I think it's time. And even if she did live and awaken, she'd be in excruciating pain from then on."

Hermione got to her knees and sobbed, her deep brown eyes bloodshot and streaming with never-ending tears. It hurt so bad. So fucking bad. She shook and trembled. Taking a deep breath, she stood, pressing a kiss to your lips and held onto you tightly. Then, she let go and exhaled shakily. 

"Do it. Hurry."