Fake Dating AU (kinda...not really...) - 10 Days of GSR ficmas day 1

(A/N:  Dedicated to addictedtostorytelling on Tumblr for teaching me that even though I'm writing out signed speech, I should follow vocalised speech anyway, since that's how it's supposed to be written {it was actually a much longer process than ...

(A/N:  Dedicated to addictedtostorytelling on Tumblr for teaching me that even though I'm writing out signed speech, I should follow vocalised speech anyway, since that's how it's supposed to be written {it was actually a much longer process than you think, so, thank you, my friend}.

Okay so in this AU it's okay for Gil and Sara to be romantically involved.  Like, there's nothing in the lab policy stating that a superior-subordinate relationship can't happen. And, we are going to pretend that Betty is happy with Sara being with Gil {as in,
pre the ending of 11x03} because Sara's parents are unavailable altogether.)

"Why don't you have a girlfriend yet? Why didn't you stick with Julia?"

"I've told you: it didn't work out between us."

That was a conversation that took place between Betty Grissom and her son every Christmas (with Hank present too).  Fortunately, she did not bring up the matter at any other time of the year and only checked in with him annually.

But that did not make it any less annoying.  Which is why Grissom found himself jogging a little to catch up to Sara as she was walking along one of the hallways of the lab.  "Hey, Sara," he said when he was near enough to not have to raise his volume about a normal level.

"Yeah?"  she enquired, briefly turning her head to face him and acknowledge him before looking ahead again.

"May I ask you for a favour?"

"Sure."

"Could you be my date this Christmas?  My mother asks every year, and I don't don't wanna hear it again this twenty-fifth."

That made Sara stop in her tracks. Grissom had to take her by the arm and silently remind her to continue walking. They went to the safety and privacy of his office. The walk had allowed Sara to clear her head, and she spoke, "Why'd you ask me?  Is this- is this your way of finally doing something about this?"

Gil looked off to one side slightly and shrugged.  "I just...I want a date so my mother won't question me about it is all.  Just for one day."

Sara closed the office door and took a step closer to him.  "But why did you ask me, and not anyone else?  You could've asked Catherine, or-or detective Curtis."