Unrestrained Summer Fun - canon-divergent Gil Grissom x Reader

(A/N:  Thought I'd get this one out quick since it's the hottest part of the year.  Sara doesn't exist in this fic {because I personally can't imagine Gil having a deep romantic interest in anyone else if she did}. Also, this is c-d in the sense that supervisor-subordinate relationships are allowed.  And, maybe some ooc. Warning - this is...probably sickeningly sappy.  I'm too deeply in love with him for my own good.)

It was 3 in the afternoon, the hottest hour of the day, in the hottest season of the year.  Gil and you had climbed into bed an hour ago to try and bag eight hours of sleep before having to get up at 10, since your shift started at 11.  Unfortunately, the heat had kept the both of you awake.  Even Hank had dashed down to the kitchen, emptied the contents of his water bowl onto the floor, and rolled around in it.  Neither of you had had the heart to stop him.  He was currently sleeping in the puddle.

As for you humans, you were lying on top of the blanket.  The air conditioner was on a moderate setting.  However, that still was not enough.  You groaned, "It's still so hot..."

"Maybe, we should let go of each other," your husband joked.

You looked at him pointedly.  "No."  That made him laugh.  You put a hand on his chest and took a bunch of the cloth of his shirt in your hand.  "You should take your shirt off."

He nodded his head to one side, and swept his tongue over his drying lips.  "Alright."  He scooted a little ways away from you and did what you said. He tossed his shirt to the foot of the bed. You moved your eyes up and down his body. Gil smiled; he appreciated that you found him attractive. He would never admit it even to himself, but he was self-conscious about the fact that he was not stereotypically attractive. So it warmed his heart to have you look at him the way you did.

Of course, you knew how he felt. You put your hands on his chest and, closing your eyes, kissed him. He let his eyes fall shut too as he returned the kiss, his hands staying on the bed. You slid your hands down to his abdomen. "You're beautiful," you whispered. In return, he put a hand on your cheek. He gently bumped his forehead against yours. You instinctively shifted closer to him.

Feeling your shirt on his bare skin reminded him of something. He gently gave a few tugs on your collar. "You should take this off." You smiled at his imitation. You rolled back and took your shirt off, pulling it by the collar. You lobbed it next to his. "You look good."

It was your turn to smile. "Thank you." You snuggled back into him.

"Let's hope we can sleep now..." he sighed, closing his eyes as he held you.

"Yeah..." you huffed as well.

However, try as you might, the both of you tossed and turned all afternoon.  Adjusting the air conditioner to a lower temperature made it too cold, and yet when you moved under the blankets it was too hot.

At one of the many points when you were looking at him, you ran your hand up his beard then through his hair.  "It's not fair..." you mused.

"What?" he enquired with a raised eyebrow, a little humoured.

"Your hair is white.  You don't retain as much heat."

That made him chuckle.  "That doesn't make much of a difference."

Several hours later, you lay flat on your back on top of the blanket, away from your husband. You groaned and put your forearm over your eyes. "We are never gonna sleep..."

"I'm sorry." He said this because he was much more used to foregoing sleep than you were.

You turned over to your front with a grunt. "What time is it?"