What Happens at a Lake - Philo Beddoe x Reader

(A/N: THIS IS THE LONGEST FIC I HAVE EVER WRITTEN!!!  FOUR AND A HALF THOUSAND WORDS!!!!!!  I AM SO PROUD OF MYSELF!!!!!!

All gifs are by someone on Tumblr. Not the same person who requested.)

Requested by someone on Tumblr

It took three months for Philo's bones to heal and get back to full strength.  Since his main job as a car repairman really depended on both his arms having their full strength, and his other job as a lorry driver did require some strength to pull the levers in the vehicle, you had been working for twelve hours everyday at the Palomino, where you were a pianist.  It was a relief when Orville returned from his nurse one month in, so you could work for just nine hours.  You returned to your usual eight hours only when Philo had fully healed.  During those three months, Philo and Clyde remained in the audience for you mr twelve hours everyday anyway, and you gladly let them be there - better to listen to your playing than to staying at home and listen to ma pestering him about his idleness.

It was one evening two months after Philo was back in business.  Philo, Orville and you were around the dinner table, having almost finished dining.  Clyde was off monkeying around  somewhere and ma had finished earlier and gone to another part of the house, where she was likely griping to herself again about something or other. 

"You know, we haven't done anything to celebrate," you said, looking around at them.

The boys looked at each other in question, confused as to what you were talking about and surprised at this sudden and random vocalisation.  They then turned back to you.  "Celebrate...?"  Philo trailed off, his voice sweet and adorable.

"Your retirement," you said lanconically.

"Only from brawling!  I'm still a lorry driver and car repairman!"  he argued, leaning towards you slightly.

"Yeah but still.  It calls for some celebration."  You were still calm, because you knew that Philo was not trying to pick a fight.  This was just how he always was.

"Okay...what did you have in mind?"  There.  He was as relaxed as if nothing had happened.

"We could go to a lake again.  One with a cabin that we can rent for an indefinite period of time."

A smile immediately formed on his face.  "That sounds great."  He turned his head to look back at Orville.

"Yeah," Orville said, nodding, "yeah, we can do that."  Philo faced you again.

"Alright!  So, when do you guys wanna leave?"  you piped up cheerily.

"Well, you're the one who suggested it.  You decide," Philo told you.

"Can we leave tomorrow?"  Your eyes darted to and from theirs.

"Oh.  Sure," Philo answered.

"Cool with me," Orville agreed.  You grinned at them.