Run, Powder, Run

We climbed out after hours of walking, finally able to breathe semi-clean air and move freely through the outskirts of Piltover. We moved past lingering eyes, ignoring the small glances a couple of boys were giving us.

          "Nice haul?" a boy called out to us, and we turned to see him sitting on a crate nearby while flicking a coin around and over his fingers. Deckard.

          "You could say that," Mylo answered as we continued walking.

          "I heard there was some action across the river," Deckard called out, earning another glance from Vi as Whiskers whimpered in my ear and curled her tail around my neck. We stopped walking, looking back at Deckard as he caught the coin midair. "Someone, uh, someone really kicked the nest, huh?"

          Perking up a little, I looked over my shoulder just as two more boys a little older than us began standing in the alleyway and blocking us off.

          "Is that so?" Vi asked as she turned away. She then caught sight of what I had been seeing, and we heard Deckard chuckle as he rose up to his feet.

          "But now you're--you're tracking this mess of yours through my streets," he said as he began pacing around us.

          "Your streets?" Vi's voice rose an octave, and she immediately grew pissed. "What makes you think--"

         "Listen, we don't want any trouble, okay?" Claggor cut her off as I grabbed Powder, pulling her closer to my side.

         "Hear that, Deckard? They don't want any trouble," another one of his buddies mocked that appeared just behind him.

          "You know, in my experience, trouble finds you," Deckard remarked as I sneered at him from behind my group. "There's no reason this has to get ugly. How about you share a little taste of your treasure and we'll call it even?"

          "No, no, no," Mylo began opening his big mouth like always while stepping forward. "We worked too hard to--"

         Vi stopped him with her hand on his shoulder, moving past him and stopping in front of Deckard.

         "Just a taste?" she asked as she swung the bag off her shoulder.

          "Just a--" he began saying before she swung the bag across his face and knocked him to the ground. I flinched as Whiskers squeaked, hiding in my hair once again. Oh, no.

          Vi threw the bag over to Powder, who quickly caught it as Mylo and Claggor got ready. One thug ran at Mylo, knocking him to the ground and starting the fist fight. Claggor took on the other two as Vi took care of Deckard, leaving Powder and me off to the side looking after the bag. I held Powder close to me, her back to my chest with her hands still wrapped around the bag. She began falling in my arms, dragging me down to the ground with her as we watched the other three battle Deckard and his thugs. Claggor threw away one of the thugs he was dealing with right towards Powder and me, and as soon as he locked his gray eyes on us I knew it wasn't good.

          "Run!" I whispered before grabbing Powder's hand and jerking her away. She swung the bag over her shoulder, running after me as we avoided getting hit by Mylo and the guy he was fighting. Everyone else was too preoccupied to see us running away from the guy chasing us, his greedy stomach hungry for whatever was in this bag.

         I pushed Powder ahead of me as we ran through some crates, turning and knocking them right into the guy just as he caught up to me. He cursed as I sprinted after Powder, watching her turn around a corner. I jumped over another pile of crates as Powder looked back at me, and we quickly ducked behind another corner of a building just beside the dock we were on. The two of us gasped at the wall of crates behind here, but it was too late to turn around. So I quickly pressed my back to the wall, Whiskers frozen on top of my head as Powder clutched the bag to her chest right beside me. I peaked out, watching the guy begin walking away with his back turned towards us. But then Powder gasped, accidentally knocking a board to the ground. I reeled out of sight, taking a sharp breath in as Powder quickly popped something off her belt. Opening the top of it, she began filling it up with nails as I watched her work while panting and keeping quiet.

          "Come on, Mouser," she whispered as she shut the top and shook it around some, "we need you!"

          She rolled it out, and the two of us watched anxiously as it clicked against the boy's shoes before the drawn-on mouse fit into place. A cloud of pink smoke erupted from it--but it didn't do a lick of damage.

          "No," Powder gasped as she grabbed the bag and my eyes widened. The boy chuckled as he began moving forward, and I grimaced lightly while moving towards him as well. Well--time to use what Vi taught me.

          He reared his fist back, and I quickly ducked to the side before jabbing him in the stomach. He doubled over while taking a few steps away from me, and Whiskers squeaked as she scurried off me and climbed up Powder's shoulder as I advanced towards the boy. Feeling confidence sprout in my chest from just that one hit, I went to kick him in the head when he caught my ankle before twisting it hard. I let out a cry as I fell face-first into the wood, groaning as I pulled back and feeling blood drip down from my eyebrow. The boy quickly climbed on top of me, grabbing a fistful of my hair before nailing my head back into the ground. I cried out as I reached back and grabbed his wrist, trying my best to hold him back. But he slammed my face back into the ground, bashing my nose and cracking the bones within. Blood poured out from my nostrils, making it hard to breathe as Whiskers let out a cry and jumped away from Powder, hurrying back to me before chomping down on the boy's hand. He let out a cry before flicking the mouse off him, her body hitting a wall. But it gave me the perfect opportunity to spin around and punch him across the cheek. He tumbled to the side of me, and I panted as I climbed up to my hands and knees with a pant before looking over at Whiskers. Her unmoving body made me gasp, zoning out of the situation I was in right now.

          It gave the boy enough time to get back to his feet before kicking me in the gut, knocking me onto my back with a groan. My arms wrapped around my torso as the boy sneered down at me, lifting his foot up before smashing it down onto my chest. Air rocketed out of my lungs and I let out a wheeze, curling around myself on my side as Powder gasped off to the side. The boy looked up, grinning as he began walking towards her now. More specifically, the bag. But she unclicked it from around her, throwing it over the railing. The boy gasped as he tried to catch it, but the bag sank into the water below. Powder ran over to me as the boy groaned, grieving for his lost treasure that was just inches away from being his.

          "Come on!" Powder whispered as she grabbed my hand and hauled me to my feet before grabbing Whiskers and pulling me away.