Trip Down Memory Lane

We moved through the sewage tunnels, keeping our heads low as we walked behind Ekko. There was small talk every now and then, but most of the time it was silent and everyone was focused on the task at hand. Get the Gemstone to Caitlyn's friend on the council, whoever that may be. Whiskers had herself nestled in Ekko's hair still, finding comfort in his white dreads as I trailed behind them. Vi stepped after me, with Caitlyn in tow. We finally reached the end of the long tunnel we had been walking through, coming out to a dark alley with spider webs all over the place. I looked to the side, looking down the deep alleys that veered off between the buildings around us, and turned my ear towards ones I didn't like the sight of to see if I could hear anything. While I was doing so Ekko ducked his head out of the way of a large colony of webs, but I didn't see him so when I looked ahead I got a face full of cobwebs and quickly began coughing and hacking while throwing my arms in disgust. Peeling the silk away from my face, I stuck out my tongue as I shivered in disgust. But there was still some webs on my lips, and immediately they got caught on my tastebuds. I let out another cough, doubling over while quickly using my fingers to scrape away the disgusting taste off as Vi began to chuckle at me.

          Green lights began to carry over us as I stood up, Vi stopping at my side with her hands tucked in her jacket pockets. I groaned, continuing to stick out my tongue, and shivered one more time as Vi continued to grin at me.

          "What are they?" Caitlyn's voice carried off behind us, and we both turned around to look over our shoulders. The enforcer was stopped just a few inches away from us, looking around at all of the bugs that flew over our heads.

            "We call them firelights," Vi answered as I looked up while slowly peeling a bit more spider webs out of my hair. "Never seen so many though."

            She patted my shoulder, turning us to continue walking again. Ekko had stopped, irritably waiting for us to catch up to him with a hand on his hip. Whiskers pulled her head up, seemingly giving us the bitch-keep-walking look before going back to napping. With Ekko's back to us, I managed to send Whiskers a fuck-you glare since her back was also to us.

          "I can't believe Whiskers is still alive," Vi whispered so suddenly that it made me jump and look over at her. "I mean--she's what? Eight... nine years old?"

          "Uh--thirteen," I counted quickly in the back of my head while nodding. "Yeah... she'll be fourteen in May."

          Vi shook her head a little as I smiled a little to myself as there was another flip in my stomach from before.

          "I bet she's real tired of you," Vi spoke up again after a long silence had taken over us.

          "Oh, I'm sure. I--put her through a lot," I mumbled while rubbing my elbow subconsciously. And then I grimaced lightly as a Twitch jerked my head to the side, remembering all of the times she had stuck by my side over the couple of years. I'm honestly surprised she survived all of the explosions I put her through.

          "Can I ask you something?" Vi whispered as I began to massage my right temple.

          "Y--Yeah, go ahead."

          "What is that? When your head... does that. I noticed you did that when I first saw you back in the Lanes and I was fighting Sevika."

          I pressed my lips together, squeezing my eyes shut a moment as another Twitch began making its way forward.

          "Well, Jin--I mean, Powder called them Twitches," I began explaining with my hands waving in front of me. "At first Singed would say they were illusions to try and confuse me, but they're my memories that would suddenly come back. I couldn't really piece any of it together until--" I stole a glance over at her before taking in a deep breath-- "but then I did and now I'm here. Yet they still come and go when I remember more stuff... and they can hurt. Some more than others."