Oil and Water

"What a load of bullshit," Vi cursed again as she let me go and we slammed open the doors. I panted slightly with a shake of my head.

          "They're never going to listen to us," I added in while patting my chest and looking up at her. Vi's blue eyes went from my metal arm to my glowing pink eyes that continued to shine with Shimmer before turning away. "Never."

          I looked down at my boots as we reached the front door of the building, walking out and immediately getting drenched with rain. I faltered slightly, but it didn't slow Vi down one bit. Whiskers ducked under my hair as I hurried after her down the steps just as panting carried out behind us.

          "Vi! Y/n, wait!" Caitlyn shouted as we continued to walk down the road. I looked over my shoulder as Vi continued to walk without looking back. Caitlyn ran down after us, her eyes finding mine before going to Vi. "Wait! Where are you going?"

          "I don't know," Vi answered as I looked between her and Caitlyn. "Back where we came from? Seems like that's what everyone up here wants."

           "I can fix this!" Caitlyn cried just before Vi whirled around towards her.

          "You can't!"

         Caitlyn stopped as Whiskers peeked out from behind my hair at the scene unfolding in front of us.

          "This is how things are. How they've always been," Vi continued on her rampage. "I was so stupid to think it would change."

          Vi placed her hands on her hips, looking at me for a split second before shaking her head and looking down at the ground.

          "There must be something we can do," Caitlyn tried to bargain with her. "Some other way. We'll make a new plan. We have to try."

          "We tried. Okay?" Vi snapped while looking back up at her. "It wasn't enough. Topside and bottom. Oil and water. That's all there is."

          Caitlyn looked from me to Vi before whispering, "What about us?"

          Vi looked away as I tucked my lips between one another.

          "Oil and water," Vi answered after a moment of silence. "Wasn't meant to be."

          "You're just saying that," Caitlyn cried as she looked over at me as if trying to get me to help. But I took a careful step away, stuffing my hands into my pants pockets.

          "Do yourself a favor, Caitlyn," Vi whispered while turning her back on Caitlyn. "Go back to that big, shiny house of yours and just... forget us, okay?"

         She pulled up her hood, walking away and leaving Caitlyn and me standing in the small light from the post above us. Caitlyn's eyes began brimming up with tears before turning towards me, and Whiskers squeaked gently before jumping onto Caitlyn's shoulder.

          "I'm sorry," I whispered as the small mouse put her front paws on Caitlyn's cheek in a small hug before jumping back onto my head. I swallowed the lump in my throat, turning away from Caitlyn before running after Vi.