The Boxing Machine

I let my feet carry me where ever they wanted, minding anything that came in my path with a ducked head. People stared as I walked, eyes going from my hair to my glowing pink eyes. My head twitched from time to time as I grimaced, squeezing my eyes shut as I moved. And then I found myself stopping, eyes still closed as I let out a forced breath. Looking up, my eyes widened at the sight. I was standing before a wall of broken glass, a sheltered dark room taunting me from the inside. I tilted my head a little as I moved forward, curiosity getting the better of me as I stepped over the multi-colored glass and into the room.

          "Remind me why we bother with this dump."

          My head jerked back, and I gasped a little as the room shifted from the dark empty look it had now to one full of noise and five people all around. A boy with a blank face stood in front of a counter, messing with a gun in his hands as another frame shifted from on top of a stack of crates. My eyes darted upwards, watching as the frame sitting there flickered in and out. There was a book in the small girl's hands, but her face was blank along with the rest. No features to identify who it was. But there was a little mouse running up the side of the crate, carrying a coin between its teeth as it gave it up to the little girl.

          "Oh, what's the matter, Mylo?"

          The deeper voice rattled through my mind as I stumbled forward, running my hands through the front of my hair.

          "You worried Powder's going to beat you again?"

          I let out a dry, shaky chuckle while tossing my head from side to side, beginning to beat my temple with my fist as my body shivered from the Twitch. Letting out another laugh, my metal hand latched onto the counter in front of me before digging straight through the wood. And then I looked up, eyes widening as my vision flashed over. The dead targets seemed to come to life in an instant, and two little girls began weaving through them while avoiding the grasps of an enforcer. But it was gone in a flash of more pink and blue, and I grimaced as pain throbbed through my head. I went to sit down on top of the counter, but another Twitch made me gasp and fall back onto the ground behind it.

           And then it was over. I was rasping and panting, holding my chest while trying to process what was happening to me. Singed said these were all illusions--but they sure as hell didn't feel like it.

          Footsteps entering the same room as me made me freeze up, calming my breathing to a slow crawl just as I heard a familiar squeak. I looked up and over the counter, ducking a little at the sight of Jinx strolling through with her eyes grazing over me and to the rest of the room. She continued walking forward as Squeaks leaped off her shoulder and to the ground, running away just as Jinx's foot grazed a metal plate on the ground. She knelt down, picking it up before dusting it off. There was a drawn-on face with pink hair and x'd out eyes, and my eyes widened before another Twitch took over. Pink and blue lines surrounded the face and made me grimace, holding my head tightly.

          And then I heard a gun whipping through the air, straightening up and looking--right down the barrel of Jinx's pistol. She panted as she held the gun right at my chest, tilting her head a little as my eyes widened. She then chuckled, making a gunshot noise with her lips while pretending to fire the gun and walking away with it held high above her head. She twirled it around before stuffing it into her belt as I watched her take a couple of steps up into a boxing ring, facing a large machine in the center that hung from the ceiling.

            She leaned forward, gently placing the metal sheet into place before taking a step away. She then picked up a long metal tube, pushing it back into its original place along with a few gears. She then moved over to a lever, pulling it upwards. Yellow liquid immediately began flowing up tubes and powering up the machine, lights turning on all around us. She stood still in front of the large machine, head down as I looked around her.

          "You guys know I wouldn't take you on a job you couldn't handle, right?"

           I slowly swept my legs around the counter, my head twitching to the side as I grimaced and sat down. And the Jinx whipped her head up, eyes fuming on the machine before her. In a blink of an eye, Jinx began weaving and punching the machine as my eyes widened, watching her. Every now and then my vision would flash, and there was a pink-haired girl that took Jinx's place for a moment before flashing back to her. I groaned, spine straightening up as another Twitch began taking over.

          Jinx finished with a cry, tears running down her cheeks as she punched the machine one last time. Huffing and puffing, Jinx looked up at the scoreboard that was beginning to rank her amongst the many names already up there. She got 4406 points--just under the top score belonging to someone named Vi.

          The name rattled through my head as soon as I read it, the voices coming back as my vision flashed over with pink and blue again. Letting out a groan, I shook my head just as Jinx pulled out her gun and fired it towards the metal plate, hitting the painted-on head dead-on.