More Hiding

I sat on top of Powder's little box that surrounded her bed, pushing my back against the corner of the wall. Up here was another bed, making it more comfortable for me to curl up around myself. Whiskers was sitting on my lap as I stroked her back absentmindedly, my mind replaying the look my mother had given me over and over again as she walked out of the Last Drop after Sevika. Tears had already streamed down my cheeks and stained my skin, my eyes puffy and red from crying. The Mylo, Vi, and Claggor all sat in the couches below, with Ekko and Powder messing with her bombs just below me in her bed.

         "I can't believe Bellatrix would just leave Vander like that," Mylo cut the thick air around us as he tossed his ball in the air and caught it. He was sprawled out across one couch to himself as Claggor sat in the opposite one reading a book. Vi looked over at him from her seat in the recliner, pressing her lips together. "I mean, she's never left Vander's side!"

          "Mylo--" Claggor began sighing with a shake of his head just as the other boy sat up.

          "No, listen," Mylo said as he swung his legs over, "I know I've said a lot of shit, but--"

           I saw his eyes flick up to my corner, and I shrank back into the shadows a little more while worrying on my lip.

          "--even I know that was fucked up."

          "Mylo," Vi growled as she pulled her hand away from her temple, "stop talking."

          "But she just--" Mylo lowered his voice a little as he leaned forward as if this would help me from hearing him utter these next few words-- "she just left Y/n here... what do you think that makes her?"

          "Mylo!" Claggor hissed as he chucked his book into the boy's chest and knocked him into the couch. Whiskers leaned into my palm as my eyes lowered down to her, swallowing the lump in my throat. I knew exactly what that made me. An orphan--just like the rest of them now sitting around me. I no longer had the cat around to put the mouse back into its hiding spot--for the cat has now plugged the hole the mouse was hiding in and sealed it in there for eternity.

         Metal clanking dragged me out of thought, and my head whipped up to see a toy monkey clapping its symbols as it waddled forward before falling off the shelf it was on. Whiskers climbed up onto my head as I quickly got to my feet just like the rest, going for the ceiling. I hauled myself up onto a pipe, straddling it before pressing my chest against the small cylinder. Vi and the rest did the same, pressing themselves into the shadows. Just as Ekko finally managed to get up into the ceiling after turning off the lights with the help of Vi and the toy shut off, the door swung inwards. And an enforcer stood in its light that streamed out from the Last Drop. My breath got caught in my throat as the enforcer flicked on his flashlight before stomping down the stairs to the bottom. He began walking around as slowly as possible, swishing his light left and right. All the while the rest of us clung to the pipes in the ceiling, silently praying that he didn't look up. I mean--who expects six children to be hiding up in the ceiling?

          I heard a soft grunt coming from in front of me, and I quickly looked up to see Powder beginning to slip. The enforcer was practically right under her, making my eyes widen as Whiskers squeaked softly. Vi and I caught each other's gazes as the mouse on the top of my head quickly hurried off, dropping down to the bed below me that I had been sitting on. As soon as Powder slipped again and the enforcer looked around, Whiskers would move in and out of eyesight of his light to make it seem like she was the one making all this noise.

          Finally, the enforcer began climbing up the stairs and began taking one final scan of the room with his flashlight. My eyes never left Powder as she slowly began losing her grip despite her best efforts. After what felt like an eternity, the enforcer finally slammed the door shut after him. And as soon as he did, Powder lost her grip and fell down onto the couch below. Whiskers squeaked as she ran forward, standing in front of Powder's face as the girl looked up and sighed a little at the mouse before her. I sighed a little in relief, shaking my head just as the door opened back up and Vander appeared.