Silent As A Mouse

First Peron pov

I slumped against the couch opposite the one Mylo and Claggor had decided to sit in. I laid across it, head against the armrest as I rose my right leg up so Powder could have a seat right at my feet. My leg was thrown behind her back, resting against the opposite armrest and holding her weight as she leaned back into it with her legs curled against her chest. Claggor threw his goggles on the table between us as Vi sighed, sinking into the recliner at the head of the table.

"Vander learns none of this," Vi said as she pulled her hood down with Mylo propping his feet against the table.

"No worries there. Powder took care of the evidence," Mylo hummed while staring at Powder. Whiskers curled up on my chest as I turned my head to glare back at Mylo.

"I tried, okay?" Powder cried as Claggor and Vi shook their heads a little. "You don't get it. You're older, you're bigger. It--it isn't fair!"

"So stick with us!" Mylo shouted as he sat upright and turned my alert back up. "Take a punch or two."

I opened my mouth to speak up but then the door leading to the small room opened--revealing Vander and Mother standing at the top. Everyone looked away, avoiding the harsh gaze of the jaguar as it looked down at us through their legs.

"Everyone all right?" Vander asked, breaking through the silence as he began walking down towards us.

"Never better," Mylo sighed as my mom moved down after Vander with the jaguar in tow.

"Good," Vander hummed as my mother stopped at the bottom step and allowed the jaguar to step down and move around Vander. "I don't suppose you can explain why it is that we're hearing about an explosion and a foot chase topside?"

The jaguar snarled right in my ear, and Whiskers perked up before scurrying into my hair to hide. I sat up quickly as Vander rounded around the back of the couch Powder and I were sitting in.

"Five children fleeing the scene," my mother spoke as she finally stepped down from the step with her arms crossed over her chest. Vander sighed, eyeing Vi as she avoided eye contact with him.

"What the hell were you thinking?" he finally sighed as the jaguar slinked away from me, allowing me to breathe a little.

"That we can handle a real job," Vi fought back while finally looking over at Vander.

"A real job?" he hissed back.

"We got our own tip, planned a route, nobody even saw."

"You blew up a building," my mother hissed.

"That wasn't--" Vi began fighting back as she leaned forward towards my mother but Vander cut her off.

"Did you even stop to think about what could have happened to you? Eh? To them?" Vander demanded before pointing at the rest of us. I ducked my head, eyes falling to the couch beneath me. Vander sighed, clearly frustrated with our silence.

"Where did you even get this tip?" my mother spoke up while taking a step forward.

"Bellatrix, I'll handle this," Vander said while raising a hand towards her. She stopped midstep, gold eyes fuming on Vander as the jaguar at her side snarled and curled its tail around her hip.

"We just heard it at Benzo's shop," Powder spoke up.

"From?" Vander pushed on while turning towards her.

"Little Man," she said with a small grimace.

"I took us there," Vi said, getting up to her feet and facing against Vander. "If you wanna be mad, be mad at me. But you're the one who always says we have to earn our place in this world."

"I also told you time and time again, the Northside's off-limits," he said while taking a step closer to her. But she didn't back down. "We stay out of Piltover's business."

"Why? They've got plenty, while we're down here scraping together coins. When did you get so comfortable living in someone else's shadow?"

Everyone stared in shock at Vi... my jaw to the ground. Whiskers peeked out of my hair, ears twitching as we each looked over Vander's frozen face.

"Everyone out."

We began doing as Vander told, moving past my mother up the stairs and out the door. There we saw another set of stairs that would lead up to the Last Drop, but Mylo, Claggor, and Powder all paused as my mother moved past them.

"Y/n," she growled as she climbed up the stairs before jerking her head at me to follow. My shoulders sunk as Powder's blue eyes casted up to me.

"Good luck," Mylo snickered as I began moving after her. Claggor swatted him in the back of the head as I moved around the corner, entering the noisy bar before feeling a tight grip on my arm. I gasped as I was jerked to the side, my mother busting down another door before throwing me in. I stumbled in, tripping over a few discarded bones before groaning in disgust at the sight. But the jaguar growling made me freeze, whirling around in time to see my mother shut the door after her.

"What happened up there?" she asked as she began moving forward. Her jaguar growled, circling around me as she stood in front of me with her hands on her hips.

"We--we just--" I began stuttering before feeling the jaguar's hot breath on my ankles and letting out a little cry while taking a step away from it.

"No excuses," Mother growled as she grabbed my chin and pulled me eye to eye with her. I sucked in a quick breath in, my (your color) eyes wide on my mother's yellow ones. "Silent as a mouse, remember?"

She threw me away, and I let out a cry as I landed on my side before quickly flipping onto my back.

"Mice hide," she growled as she loomed over me. "Do you know what happens to mice who don't hide?"

Growling from over me made me tense up, and I heard Whiskers squeak in alarm in my hair.

"Remember what cats do to mice?" Mother snarled as she grabbed my collar and picked me back up. "What happened to your nose?"

"I--"

She shoved me down to the ground, and I felt a slap across my face. Holding my hand against the burning skin, I felt tears start to well up in my eyes.

"Silent as a mouse," Mother hissed. "Or else Bane might catch one."

The jaguar snarled at the mention of his name, and I whimpered while squeezing my eyes shut and keeping my face hidden from her.

"Keep your nose low, follow the dark tunnels, and stay out of sight," Mother repeated for the millionth time. "That's how a mouse survives. And when they have to--they'll bite. But they never bite too hard."

She grabbed my chin, flipping me onto my back.

"Not like a cat."

Bane growled as she pulled away, huffing down at the sight of me shaking in my skin.

"That's more like it," she spat before opening the door up. Bane slinked out first, and my mother cast a look back at me as I slowly began sitting up and rubbing the side of my face where she had hit me. "I love you. You know that."

She let the door swing behind her, shutting me out once again. Whiskers immediately crawled out of my hair, falling into my lap before looking up at me with her nose twitching.

"Silent as a mouse," I whispered as I cupped the little critter in my palms and held her up to my eyesight. "Silent as a mouse."