The Blood On Your Hands (End of Episode 8)

First Person pov

          I slowly walked behind Vi, Whiskers perched with her nose up in the air on my shoulder. I avoided breathing in too sharply around all of the thugs still in their suits around us, some still having Shimmer hissing out from behind their broken helmets. Vi's gauntlets hissed and clicked around her fists still, beginning to power down as Jayce led the three of us through the bodies. The purple glow coming from the side was a large vault of Shimmer--one of Silco's large storage of the horrible stuff. But our focus wasn't on that for now.

          Jayce slowly stopped, looking down at a body that still moved and rasped at our feet. Vi stopped as well, head lowering a little as I rounded around her--staring at the little boy below. I swallowed the lump in my throat, immediately recognizing him. This was Renni's son... I used to watch him play when he was younger back in Zaun. I grimaced slightly, my head twitching downwards as memories of the small boy smiling and laughing began playing in my head, making me tear up a little as I stole another glance down at him. Blood creeped out of his nose and smeared across his lips, his eyes looking between Vi and Jayce before landing on me. And he seemed to choke on the little air coming through his throat as he began crying at the sight of me.

          Whiskers jumped down off my shoulder and to the ground, quickly scurrying up to his side while resting her paws on his shoulder. She let out a soft squeak before resting her chin on his sleeve, watching as he began coughing and struggling even more to breathe.

          Swallowing the lump in my throat, I gently moved past Vi before kneeling down beside the boy. Jayce was breathing heavily above me, watching the boy choke and try to breathe. But his time was dwindling. It wouldn't be long before the man in the dark cloak would strike him with his long blade. I gently reached forward as his head began to jerk, his brain trying to grab any last gulps of air that it could. My palm rested and cupped his cheek, fingers intertwining with his head as my lips pressed together. His eyes locked onto me as a tear rolled down my cheek that was smeared with blood from the thugs, and I couldn't help but flinch a little as a Twitch took over.

           "Don't touch that."

          Jinx swatted the boy's hands away as he reached to touch one of her bombs, and he immediately recoiled as I watched the two from my perch. Rennie had dumped her son on us for the time being as Silco and her talked in private in his room while we stayed in the main part of the Last Drop. Jinx had her stuff all over the bar, standing amongst the parts as the boy stared up at her from his seat on a stool.

          "Or--better yet, why don't you try pulling that pin out for me? Let's see if these things work."

            The boy seemed excited to help, picking up one of Jinx's newly made bombs. I quickly jumped down from the railing I had been watching them from, plucking the bomb out of his hands as soon as he had pulled the pin. I took a step back, holding the bomb behind my back while holding my glare down at the boy. He stared at me in wonder before--the bomb exploded, knocking over a few chairs and tables behind me from the blast as Jinx began to laugh from on top of the bar. And the boy's glittering eyes began falling as horror struck across his features, realizing what Jinx was going to let him do.

            "She does that to people she likes."

            I said this while pulling my now empty hand out from behind my back just as Whiskers rummaged her way through the pile of parts on the bar and ran up Jinx's leg to her shoulder.

            "Come on. I know a few spots to play... that aren't rigged with explosives."

            I held my hand out to the boy, and he looked down at the black streaks the bomb had left on my (reader's skin color) palm. His eyes shifted back up to my reassuring pink ones before gently taking it, allowing me to pull him out of the stool and towards the back of the room as Jinx continued to cackle at us as we walked away.

            "Nothing will happen to you as long as I'm around."

             I had whispered this to the boy as he looked up at me, his hand squeezing a little tighter around my fingers as I ushered him into a back room before quickly following in after him.

           I blinked, shaking the memory away as the boy beneath me began to slowly stop shaking under my grasp. His head turned away out of my grasp as he took in his last breath, eyes staying wide up at the ceiling as another tear fell down my cheeks and onto his shirt, dampening the spot.

            "I'm so sorry," I mumbled while leaning down and pressing my head against his chest. "I forgot you."

           Pulling away some, I reached up with my metal hand before gently closing his eyelids. And then I stood up to my feet, watching Whiskers jump onto his chest before propping herself up onto his chin with her front paws. She let out another squeak while looking up at me, her ears drooping a little as my eyes lowered to the ground. Jayce inhaled deeply beside me, letting it out slowly while looking up at the rest of the workers that were being held back by enforcers that had managed to survive the attack. Each unarmed hand was held high in the air, eyes turned down to the three of us below.

            I stole a look back at Vi, but her blue eyes immediately turned away as her lips pressed together. I let out a little sigh, lowering my head while turning away from her just as Whiskers crawled up my back and to my shoulder, resting one paw against my cheek before rubbing her head softly against my skin. I couldn't look at the boy resting just at my feet, his face frozen forever in time now. And his name--I couldn't remember his name. It made my stomach drop and my heart clench up a little tighter in my chest.