Marcus

Jinx and I were back in Silco's office, this time with him knowing I was there. We hung up in the frame of the domed ceiling yet again, Squeaks playing with the metal of my arm. She figured out that she could squeeze between the crevice of my elbow and forearm, and put it to herself to make it a game to use that to make my fingers move.

          Just then the door opened, and Squeaks stopped moving as I looked downwards. The enforcer that was tied with strings and played like a puppet by Silco, Marcus, came thundering in through the door. But Silco wasn't in the room yet, and he let out a small groan as he looked down at the ground.

          "Sheriff," Silco came in the room not long after him, moving around him to his seat with a clipboard in hand, "what a lovely surprise."

          "The Hextech wonder boy is on the Council now," Marcus began saying as Silco plopped down in his seat, "and he's asking questions. It's only a matter of time before he finds out the truth."

          "What is truth, but a survivor's story?" Silco hummed back, unfazed by what Marcus had just said.

          "If I'm discovered, we're both finished," Marcus hissed as Silco began digging into his desk for something.

          He pulled out the object, setting it on the surface of his desk, "Good thing you've located proof of the Firelights' involvement."

          I tilted my head, looking over one of Jinx's unactivated monkey bombs laying on his desk.

          Marcus moved forward, swiping the bomb up into his hand, "This has gone too far."

          His thumb played with the pin in the side of the head.

         "Hmm? Imagining yourself a hero?" Silco taunted as my heart began racing in my chest. "One final act to make you the martyr you've always seen yourself as?"

          Silco chuckled as Marcus' breathing grew heavier, and I thought he was actually going to do it.

          "Then what are you waiting for?" Silco questioned after a moment of silence.

          Marcus sighed, lowering the bomb to his side as his head dropped in defeat. I let out a little breath of relief, looking over to see Jinx was still looking gloomy. Ever since we had gotten back from that room with the boxing machine, she had been unnaturally silent. Usually one would rejoice in her silence--but it frightened me. Jinx was never one to be quiet for long.

          Marcus left the room, slamming the door after him just before Silco sighed and turned his chair so his back was to us.

          "Ah, he's faltering," Silco sighed while holding his head with his hand. "You need to weaponize the Hextech soon. Once we've cracked their prize, topside will have no power over us."

          "I can't do it," Jinx mumbled as she sat up and threw one leg over the edge. "Just... give it to the doctor."

          I sat up a little as Squeaks ran up her shoulder, sitting patiently and silently trying to cheer her up.

          "You're the only one I can trust with this, Jinx."

          "I keep... seeing them. That day," Jinx whispered before stealing a glance over at me. I twisted my lips together, having no idea what she was saying... but she always looked at me when she referenced to 'that day.'

          Silco stood up, his chair moving backward after hitting his knees, "Fear haunts us all, Child."

          Jinx stared down at him as his eyes stayed locked on hers, and then they faltered over to me.

            "Come, Jinx. I want to show you something," Silco said as he began rounding around his desk. Jinx dropped down immediately, landing crouched down on his desk. "Mouse--go find Sevika. Make sure she isn't getting into trouble."

            I dropped down, landing next to Jinx before looking over at her. She was already staring at me before looking away, jumping to the ground after Squeaks had moved back to my shoulder. I watched the two walk through the door before it thumped behind them, and I sighed while shaking my head.