Silco

First Person pov

          I leaned over the railing I was standing behind, looking down at the number of people dancing and drinking below. My head tilted lightly as the mouse on my shoulder squeaked, seeing the same thing I was. The woman from the boat, Sevika, had just entered the Last Drop and was on a warpath going through the crowd. She was heading for the stairs. Raising my eyebrow lightly, I quickly swung my feet over the railing before dropping without hesitation. I landed in the center of a table, the two people sitting there reeling back in shock. But I jumped off the circular surface down to the ground, keeping my eyes on Sevika's back as she snatched a man's bottle of liquor out of his hands while continuing to walk up the stairs. I hurried after her, keeping a good distance away while also making sure not to lose her. She slammed open the door at the top of the stairs, it beginning to close. But I carefully slipped through before it could close all the way. Sevika hadn't seen me as she made her way towards a sofa on the side, and the man in the chair had his back turned. So no one had seen me enter.

          I jumped, climbing up onto the frame of the ceiling and into the shadows. As soon as I was out of sight, I froze up a little at the sight of Jinx already lounging on a wooden beam. She gave me a little glance before looking back down at the two below.

          Sevika took the cork out of the bottle with her teeth before spitting, "She fired on us," and taking a chug of the orange liquid within.

          "There are always mishaps in battle," the man replied back while flipping through his clipboard. Silco. The big man of Zuan. "The Firelights were her target and most are dead."

         "It wasn't a mishap. She froze up and lost her shit. And Mouse had one of her twitching fits," Sevika snarled as she leaned forward and placed a hand on her knee. "I could've handled those brats. They're problems and we all know it."

          "We?" Silco repeated while turning around his chair to face her. "Who's we?"

          Sevika avoided looking Silco in the eye.

          "I expected better from you than excuses," Silco snarled. "It was your job to make sure things went smoothly. You failed. Don't disappoint me again."

          Sevika grunted, raising from her seat and slamming the door after leaving the room. I leaned forward, watching as Silco turned back in his seat and pulled out a cylinder device, and clicked the two pieces together.

            "The world's growing smaller every day, thanks to the Hexgates. And now, we're cut off. The topsiders are leaving us further and further behind. What happened?"

            "She already told you," Jinx mumbled without looking down at him.

            "I'm asking you."

            Jinx jumped down, leaving me by myself once again as she curled herself up in a ball on his desk.

            "One of those Firelight wackos was a girl," Jinx said, her voice coming out muffled from her knees being to her chest and her face behind it. "With pink hair."

            Flashes of a pink-haired girl with a blank face began filling my vision, and my head jerked a little as I grimaced slightly. But it didn't last long.

            "Hmm," was the only remark from Silco as he turned his chair around and held the object out to Jinx. She looked from it to him, and then she slinked into the armrest as Silco leaned back and let her take the object out of her hands. "Your sister's gone. You know that as well as I do."

            "I know," Jinx mumbled as she pulled away from Silco. "I know! Sisters, right?"

          She began twirling the cylinder object around her finger.

          "You can't live with 'em, can't stuff 'em back in in the ol' babymaker."

           She chuckled before leaning forward and beginning to blow down into the tube as Silco stared at her.

           "Today's screw-up will set us back weeks," Silco finally said as Jinx stopped while slumping a little.

          She then leaned into the back of the chair, her chin resting against Silco's head, "I'm sorry."

            She then began to play with the metal object as I leaned forward, getting a closer look at the top of their heads, "I need to know that I can rely on you."

          "Phew," Jinx whispered in her own state of mind before Silco grabbed her wrist and held her still.

          "I'm doing this for us, Jinx. For all of us," Silco said as he turned her to face him. "The sons and daughters of Zaun deserve more than their runoff."

          She pulled her wrist out of his hand, "It won't happen again."

            She leveled the tip of the needle within the cylinder to Silco's eye as he leaned back, "I know."

           She pressed the trigger, sending the needle into his eye. The orange streaks turned purple, and I turned away as Silco gasped and soaked in the surge of energy that went through him. Jinx curled back into a ball on his desk, waiting for him to stop as I slowly turned my attention back to them.

            "Sevika will clean up today's mess."

          "Sevika?" Jinx cried. "That ogre couldn't clean a dust bunny with a blowtorch."

          "She'll suffice," Silco said as he smoothed his hair back while sitting up. "You should focus on your gadgetry."

            "Ugh," Jinx groaned as she laid out on the desk before locking eyes with me from above. The mouse on my shoulder peaked her little head out as I tilted my own at Jinx, wondering why she hadn't mentioned to Silco I was here yet.

            "Take some time."

            "I don't need time," Jinx stuttered as her gaze shifted away from me.

            "Take it anyhow."

            Jinx's lips bundled up before she sat up and began storming out of the room.

            "Come on, Mouse. Let's go," she growled as she threw open the door and looked up at me. Silco's eyes widened as I dropped to the ground and into view. Busted. I quickly hurried out of the room as Jinx glared at Silco, slamming the door shut after us.