Hi, Vi

"This is--incredible," I breathed, looking around as Whiskers ran ahead of me with an excited squeak. Ekko chuckled, taking a step to the side and watching as Whiskers sped past him and up into a branch. "Is this real?"

          "As it gets," he replied as he looked out and around from the platform we had been standing on. I jumped up onto the railing, his eyes following my every move as I crouched down and steadied myself by gripping the metal with my hands right between my feet. I smiled, watching as people whizzed past us on the hoverboards I used to always hear right before they came down to attack us. But instead of hearing them as the low humming threats like I used to, I heard the laughter bubbling out of them from the people that rode them. They twisted and turned through the branches around us, some waving at Ekko as they passed. "I need a favor out of you."

        I looked down at him as he leaned against the railing, crossing his arms over it as he looked down at some little kids playing in the dirt below.

          "Anything," I answered just as a small thump landed on my shoulder. I looked over, noticing Whiskers had pulled one berry off of a branch and had red juice all over her lips from devouring some. She opened up her paw, offering me the last berry. I gently shook my head at her, watching as she shrugged before practically swallowing it whole.

          "When I talk to Vi--I don't want her to see you."

          "What?" I turned back around towards Ekko as he kept his eyes off me. "Why?"

          "I have a feeling she still wants to go after Jinx," he began explaining as I sighed a little, "and if she sees you--she's going to think she still has a chance to get Powder back."

          "And who's saying she doesn't?"

          "You know as well as I do that Jinx remembers everything--everyone. And she still chooses to work for Silco."

          "She thought her sister was dead."

          "She knew I was alive. That didn't stop her."

          I dropped my head, letting out another sigh.

          "Powder is gone... you know that. Probably way more than I do," Ekko continued on as I squeezed my eyes shut. My head twitched, and memories of Jinx pointing the machine gun at Vi's head came flashing through my head.

          "Vi's not going to stop," I mumbled, easing my breathing before looking over at him. "Even if she knows I'm back, she's still going to try."

          Ekko took a moment to himself before saying, "It's worth it to at least try and stop her from committing suicide."

          He pushed away from the railing, and I looked down at the ground before realizing just how high we were. My eyes widened as I jumped backwards and off the railing, landing on my feet unsteadily and Ekko caught me by my metal arm just before I could fall on my butt.

           "And fear of heights comes as a plus one to memories" Ekko chuckled as he pulled me upright as I smiled sheepishly up at him.

            "Yippie," I said sarcastically.

          Ekko shook his head lightly before looking up at the branches above us, "You can stay up here while I talk to Vi... but--"

          "Stay out of sight. Out of sight, out of mind," I hummed while tapping the side of my temple. "Remember, Ekko--I'm silent as a mouse."

            I grunted as I jumped upwards, catching hold of a lower branch before swinging my body upwards. Crawling up to the next and sprawling across it on my stomach, I looked down to see that he was watching me. So I smiled, giving him a thumbs-up as Whiskers curled herself into a nice little ball in the curve of my back. Ekko smiled a little back at me before walking away, tugging his mask back on as he went.