The Bridge(End of Episode 7)

Caitlyn and Ekko continued to walk ahead of us, Vi a little more ahead of me now so I took the rear. My eyes were on the ground, watching my every step after Vi with my ears turned up to the air. I knew Jinx would be around--and as much as I hated to admit it, I needed to look out for her now. With me staying with Vi willingly, Jinx would quickly put two and two together. And the two didn't really hit it off the last time they were together. And we had the Gemstone--something Jinx worked hard to get. She would surely want that back as soon as she found out we were the ones who had it.

         Vi slowed to a stop in front of me, and I looked up just in time to not run into her. I side-stepped her, tilting my head a little at the cast-down look she was giving the ground. Caitlyn soon noticed she had stopped, looking back just before Ekko did as well as they both watched Vi.

         "Vi?" Ekko finally whispered, breaking the silence as Vi looked up at them.

          "I can't leave her again," Vi spoke up after a long pause. I looked from her to Ekko, noticing the sorrowful look he was giving her along with Caitlyn.

          "You can't change her," Ekko said weakly.

          "I have to try."

         Ekko scoffed a little, turning back towards us before walking up to Vi, "Don't get yourself killed."

         Vi chuckled as Ekko dragged her in for a close hug, and Whiskers jumped from his head down to my shoulder for the first time during the whole trip. I noticed the look Caitlyn was giving Vi while the two were hugging, and the enforcer stole a look over at me just as I looked away. Once Ekko had pulled away from Vi, he looked over at me as Caitlyn moved up to her. Ekko just shook his head before wrapping his arms around me, surprising me a little as Whiskers squeaked.

         "I know you're going to go with her," Ekko whispered down to me as I stayed tensed up in his arms. "Don't die."

          I began smiling before wrapping my arms around him, looking around him just in time to see Caitlyn wrap her arms around Vi. She embraced the enforcer immediately, playing with the back of her hair.

          "It's been real, Cupcake," Vi whispered as Ekko and I pulled away from one another and watched the two. "Thanks. For everything."

          The two nuzzled into one another for a second longer before pulling away, and Vi looked over at me just as I began smiling and walking. She frowned slightly, watching as I walked past her and back towards the Lanes.

        "I can't ask you to come with me," Vi said, sensing what I was doing.

         "Who's asking?" I replied with a shrug. "She's my sister, too, Vi. Well--she's like my sister."

          I continued to walk, not waiting for her answer. But it wasn't long before I heard her boots clomping after mine, and soon we were walking side by side.

         "Thought I was Cupcake," I joked to lighten the mood, and she turned her eyes away from the ground to look over at me. She smiled before chuckling, shaking her head while gently shoving me.

          "You'll always be my Cupcake," she chuckled as I bumped my shoulders against hers. But the light mood immediately dulled when--a gunshot rang through the air along with the sound of a body hitting the ground. The two of us whirled around, eyes wide before we looked between one another for a split second and then sprinting back towards flashing lights. "Caitlyn!"

          "Oh, God," I whispered, already imagining the worse. There were enforcers at the other end of the bridge, one, in particular, holding a gun to Caitlyn as he picked up the bag with the Gemstone in it. Marcus. My fists bundled up as I swung my arms, running a little faster and picking up speed against Vi. But I began slowing down some, my eyes going up to the millions of firelights flying over us and towards the enforcers. One flew past my ear, clicking as they usually do. But the sound was off. Vi and I slowed to a stop, watching the bugs as they swarmed the air. "Oh, no."

         The odd noise suddenly clicked inside my head, and my head twitched to the side as my vision flashed over pink and blue. The image of Jinx working and painting on a mechanical wing flashed over for a second before I straightened up with wide eyes and a gasp.

          Whirling around, I face Vi as she looked at me, "Duck!"

          I jumped, tackling her just as the firelights began exploding all around us. Whiskers squeaked as she ducked into my hair as Vi and I rolled across the ground, ending up with Vi on her back beneath me as I wrapped around her. Hunching over her, I placed one hand on the ground while the other cradled her head, holding her close to me as her arms wrapped around my waist and squeezed tight while burrowing her face into my chest. We stayed still for a moment as the explosions rang through our ears, my eyes burning pink as the Shimmer in my body pumped through my blood and worked to protect my body against it.

          It was over almost as quickly as it had come, and I panted slightly as my hold on Vi loosened. She looked up at me just as I looked down at her, letting out a little breath before hearing humming coming from behind us. My blood ran cold as Vi began picking herself up from beneath me, grabbing under my arms and pulling me up along with her. The two of us looked up just as a gunshot rang through the air, my eyes widening as Vi dragged me back towards where we had left Caitlyn and Ekko.

         As soon as we rounded around the wall of crates separating the Lanes from the rest of Piltover, we saw bodies laying all over the bridge. Most were enforcers--two being Caitlyn and Ekko. Vi ran right up to Caitlyn's bent-over frame, grabbing her face as I ran around them to Ekko. He grimaced as soon as I slid down on my knees next to him, grabbing the back of his head and helping him sit up a little. He touched the front of his metal chest plate--showing off the bullet that was wedged within it. My nose scrunched up in anger as I looked from it to his eyes, but he wasn't looking at me. Looking over my shoulder, I noticed Vi and Caitlyn were standing in front of us, their backs illuminated by the large light behind us. And ahead of them and through their legs, I could see--Jinx. She looked between the two, completely oblivious to Ekko and me right behind them.

         Ekko stood up just as Jinx cried out, pulling her machine gun before firing at the two. Vi ducked her head as she shoved Caitlyn away from her, the two bodies falling away from one another just as Ekko rode through on his hoverboard. He rose his staff up, letting out a cry just before knocking the gun out of her hands and looping around back towards her. Now she had her pistol, continuing to fire at him. But he weaved and dodged, jumping off his board and flying through the air while smacking her shoulder. He cut the bag off her that held the Gemstone in it, sliding back towards us just as Vi and I both helped Caitlyn back to her feet. Standing before us, Ekko looked back before chucking the bag into my hand, "Go!"

         Vi and I looked between one another before shaking our heads, turning away from Ekko as he looked back at Jinx. She was walking through the smoke, blue eyes looking up at Ekko blankly. And then she looked back at us, her eyes glazing over Vi before seeming to stick on me. My lips pulled together as Whiskers squeaked, staring at Jinx from the top of my head. She shook her head a little, lips turning back before a soft scoff escaped her lips. And then Vi began walking, half pulling me along with her and dragging my attention away from Jinx. Her laughter filled my ears as we rounded around the large light, leaving the two on the bridge.

          We didn't speak a word as we continued to move down the bridge, hearing the sounds of Jinx's pistol ring through the air more and more with every step. And then it stopped, replaced by metal hitting skin. And then--heat rose from our backs as an explosion washed over the bridge. I pulled away from Caitlyn, leaving her weight resting on Vi as I spun around and watched with wide eyes as a heavy orange smoke carried up and into the dark sky. Fire crackled and rose up, licking the flying debris that washed over the bridge railing and down to the water below. Tears began filling my eyes as Whiskers stared in a dead silence on top of my head, her small eyes now large as we watched a small curl of blue light flicker through the smoke before dying out.