Time For Rest

I slumped against the small couch set across the back wall of the dark red painted room, letting out a long, concentrated breath while stretching my arms and legs out. Babette's place still looked exactly how it was when we were kids--full of people looking for fun. Vi was talking with the small woman at the moment as Whiskers crept out from behind my hair, squeaking while looking up at me.

         "Yeah, I wouldn't touch anything if I were you," I whispered to her while smiling softly. She recoiled in disgust, looking around the small flourished room. This place was meant for the people looking for a small little randevu with a random woman hired to the place, no strings attached. Which meant a lot of this stuff was probably cleaned on a regular basis--or, at least, I hope it was. The room given to Vi and me for the time being to lay low and learn more about Silco's next course of actions was one Babette told us wasn't used often, and that we should be okay to get some rest in. It contained one small couch and an old bathtub in the corner, but it was rusty and had a few holes in it so it wouldn't hold any water. Vi went with Babette to her office to see if we could help the little woman in any way since she was helping us, but I had a feeling Babette wasn't going to take any of our help. She was a kind old woman--tough, too. She wouldn't need our help even if she wanted to accept our offer. She ran a tight ship, with no one turning and spilling anything to Silco. And if they did--well, they wouldn't have a tongue anymore.

          Whiskers ran down the front of my chest and rested on my stomach, peering down at the soft red fabric of the couch I was laying on with curious eyes. I could tell she really wanted to feel how soft the cushion was, but every time she went to touch it she recoiled with a look of disgust and a shake of her head.

          The curtain separating the room from the hallway was suddenly drawn back, and I sat up a little and made Whiskers squeak as she ducked back behind my hair. Swinging my legs around and planting my feet on the ground, I straightened up a little at the sight of Babette standing before me with Vi leaning against the frame of the doorway and her hands tucked into her jacket pockets.

          "Would you believe it?" Babette cooed while stepping inside the room and closer to me. "Mouse--in my own business."

          My eyes lowered a little at the name, and Whiskers slowly crept off my shoulder and into view.

          "No one blames you for what you've done, Child," Babette cooed, reaching forward and cupping my cheek with one small hand and pulling my eyes back up to her. "What matters now is that you're okay."

          Her thumb swiped over the crusted blood still coating my right cheek, and I began shaking my head a little.

          "I'm sorry for everything I've done," I muttered, stealing a glance back at Vi. She watched us talk in silence, blue eyes soaking in everything. "I could've stopped all of this--"

          "No," Babette hummed as she brushed a hand through the stray hairs falling in front of my face. "No, Darling, you couldn't have. Silco's powerful--and we're not anything against him alone."

          I pressed my lips together, staring up at Babette before slowly beginning to smile, "I'm not going to stop apologizing--forever."

          "I know," she said while patting my cheek, laughing a little under her breath. "I just had to come see for myself that Y/n was back. And she is--"

          Babette stole a glance back at Vi, and she pulled away from the frame while stepping into the room and letting the dark crimson curtain drop behind her.

          "--safe and sound," Babette finished while turning back to me. "Now, I've done enough digging into your relaxation time. You kids are tired from your activities today and deserve some rest. I'll tell my girls to stay out of here until you get that fire lit back up under your asses again."