Jinx

Vi and I panted a little, each of us turning around a corner with Caitlyn clinging to the both of us. Whiskers sat on her shoulder, paws on her cheek to make sure the girl stayed conscious while we walked. Caitlyn extended her leg out, keeping it straight as Vi and I settled her to the ground.

          "Will you be okay?" Vi questioned as I shrugged off the bag Ekko had given me while Whiskers tapped the side of her cheek. "I'll be right back."

          "Okay," Caitlyn whispered just as Vi picked herself up before moving towards the iron gate that was half open to the alleyway we were in. I patted Caitlyn's knee in silent reassurance before standing up myself and hurrying after Vi to the end of the alley.

          "Vi," I mumbled, grabbing her shoulder and pulling her back to look at me, "what are you doing?"

          "Powder--I have to make sure she's okay," Vi answered back quickly. Whiskers squeaked, announcing her presence just before she ran up my leg and perched herself on top of my shoulder.

          "Let me go," I whispered while laying a hand on my chest. "I can lay low."

          Vi looked from me to the mouse on my shoulder before nodding quickly, and I ducked around her before racing back down the street. Whiskers clung to my shirt as I ducked into the shadows, avoiding a crowd of enforcers that were beginning to form around another street before quickly dashing across and back onto the bridge. By now the smoke was beginning to settle, the fire dying away with nothing else to burn on. I rounded around the flickering lights, my eyes going over all of the bodies in identical uniforms before finally--they landed on a certain blue-haired girl lying in the center of it all. A gasp got stuck in my throat as I quickly ran forward, sliding on my knees towards her before finally planting my hands on the bridge on either side of her head, "Jinx?!"

          My right hand gently touched her charred cheek, my metal fingers squeaking a little as they ran along her pale skin.

          "No," I whispered while shaking my head and lowering it a little until my forehead touched hers, "no, no, no! Jinx, wake up. Ji--Powder, come on--"

          A coughing from below suddenly pulled me away, and Whiskers squeaked as she jumped off my shoulder and landed on Jinx's chest as her eyelids opened up halfway at me.

           "Jinx!" I gasped as her eyes slowly looked me up and down as I smiled a little in relief. "Come on, I'm taking--"

          "I'm glad you remember."

          The rest of my sentence was cut off, and I panted slightly while staring down at her as she smiled gently back up at me.

          "I'm happy--" she began coughing and hacking, heaving under my touch as I stared in utter helplessness-- "you remember me."

          "I'm sorry I forgot you," I began crying and shaking my head. "I'm so sorry, Powder--"

          Her lips turned down and she coughed again, shaking her head as I heard boots begin pounding from the other side of the bridge. I looked up, my chest tightening. Silco. He was coming.

          "I'm sorry," I whispered as she fell limp back against the bridge. "I'm so sorry."

          Whiskers ran up my arm just as I scurried away, grabbing the side of the bridge before swinging my little body over. Keeping a tight hold on the railing of the bridge, I managed to dig my feet into the side and keep myself hoisted up just enough so my eyes peeked over the ground. Here I could see Silco approaching with two of his large goons right behind him, his eyes going over the damage before suddenly falling on Jinx.

          "Jinx!" he gasped while running forward and kneeling down beside her. He pulled her head into his hands, staring down at her unresponsive frame. Whiskers squeaked softly from the top of my head, watching the scene unfold herself as I let out heavy, controlled breathing through my lips. I watched one of the big guys pick up Jinx's machine gun, shouldering it like it was a small handbag. Silco held Jinx close to his chest, looking up at the sound of enforcers running towards us. And then Jinx's arm dropped a little, fingers opening up to a blue glow within. My heart stopped within my chest, eyes quickly flicking down to it. The Gemstone--Jinx got it.

          Silco rose to his feet, holding Jinx in his arms as the enforcers began to grow closer. I ducked my head a little lower, trying to hold back tears but failing to do so. Turning his back, Silco strolled away with Jinx's braids trailing behind him. My head falling a little, Whiskers squeaked as the enforcers finally approached the bridge and stopped short at the sight of their comrades lying scattered on the surface. With their eyes busy and their heads turned, I managed to sneak back onto the bridge and slip away unnoticed.

          I ran right back to where Vi and Caitlyn were, finding Vi standing at the front of the alley. As soon as I turned in, I ran right into her open arms. I broke down immediately, the tears finally slipped away down my cheeks as I wrapped my arms around her torso. Her arms quickly wrapped around my head, cradling me a little as I let out a sob.

          "Jinx got the Gemstone," I cried while rubbing some of the dirt and water into the front of Vi's jacket.

          "We know," Vi whispered gently back.

          "She's with Silco," I hiccuped while looking up at Vi. "He--He--"

          "We'll find her again," Vi coaxed as she pushed my head back into her chest and patted down my hair some. "We'll find her again."