The Councilors

I thrummed my fingers against the side of my thigh, staring at the double doors just a few feet in front of us. Vi stood between Caitlyn and me, but the enforcer was just a couple of steps in front of us with her chin held high and her hair seemingly straighter than ever. I had to hand it to her, she was about to stand in front of Piltover's government and she didn't look the least bit scared. Vi had her hands stuffed into her jacket pockets, blue eyes moving from the few guards standing by the doors back to the wood keeping us separated from the group within. Their voices were soft whispers, barely recognizable from where we were standing.

          I blew out a short breath, shaking my head a little as a Twitch began sneaking its way forward. Tucking my bottom lip between my teeth, I began biting down and trying to avoid the spasm creeping up my neck. Vi stole one look down at me after Whiskers jumped off my shoulder and onto hers, tapping her skin and pointing me out. I then felt a small bump against my arm, looking over to see that Vi had just bumped her elbow against my bicep.

          "Deep breaths," she whispered while leaning down towards me, and my back immediately straightened up as my chest heaved outwards. "We'll get through this--"

          Her right hand slipped out, wrapping around my left that dangled at my side. She squeezed once, and then again for a second time.

          "--together."

          My pink eyes found hers, and I smiled a little in relief. But I hadn't realized that the Shimmer that was running through my veins had begun to make my eyes glow, and Vi watched curiously as my eyes began to lose their light and fade back to their dull color.

          There was a nod from the enforcer to the left before they opened the doors, and Caitlyn walked out first with Vi and I quickly following tail behind her. Caitlyn took front and center now, with Vi standing to her right and me slipping over to her left side. Vi had unhooked her hand from mine, walking with her hands untucked from her pockets and holding herself up a little taller. But I shrank with my hands tucked behind me as Whiskers jumped down onto my shoulder, deciding to hide behind my neck and between my braid for the time being.

          "What could anyone in the undercity offer him that he didn't have up here?" a blonde man on the right pondered with a hand thrown in the air.

          "It's not what they offered him," Caitlyn began saying and directing the table's attention over to us, "it's what he had to lose."

          "Councilors, my daughter has a unique insight into our situation," her mother proclaimed while rising to her feet and declaring why there were two new strangers standing before them. We stopped walking, Vi's eyes straying over the people around the large table as I swallowed the lump in my throat while lowering my head a little. I suddenly felt guilty standing before them all--knowing what kind of trouble I'd caused. I had the sudden urge to fall down to my knees and beg for mercy even though they had no idea I was a part of Silco's plans.

          "Thank you," Caitlyn said as I slowly looked up at the seven figures sitting before us. "Councilors, this is Vi and Y/n. They were born in the undercity. Even though we failed them in countless ways," Caitlyn said while looking between the two of us before looking directly at Vi, "she risked everything to show me what life is really like down there."

          Vi looked up at Caitlyn, almost like she was going to cry.

          "People are starving, sick, ravaged by Shimmer," Caitlyn continued on, making my blood run cold as I suddenly straightened up. Swallowing another lump that began clouding my airway, I tried not to stare at the Councilors for too long in fear they may connect my pink eyes to the purple substance. "They live in constant fear of the coordinated efforts of violent crime lords. One man leads these efforts. Silco."