The Stuffed Bunny

I placed my hands on my hips, staring up at the stuffed bunny still trapped between the two metal lines running from one building to the next. Vi stepped up beside me, staring up at the bunny as well just as I looked over at her.

          "Got a plan for this one?" I asked just as she looked over at me.

          "Was hoping you had one," she mumbled. I looked from her to the bunny, pressing my lips together just as Whiskers squeaked from on top of my shoulder. And then it was like an idea suddenly clicked into my head.

          "Hoist me up there," I answered while pointing off to the side. Vi looked over in the direction I was pointing, frowning a little at the small hole in the side of the building no bigger than a foot.

          "Where?" she questioned as I began moving to the side with a smile. I pointed directly up at the hole once again, which was just about eight feet over my head. "There?"

          "Uh-huh," I hummed as I turned my back to her and looked up. "I think if I can get up there, I can--"

         Before I could finish my sentence, Vi's hands wrapped around my hips before throwing me up without warning. I let out a cry before quickly hooking my hand into the hole, catching myself before I could fall. I looked down, seeing Vi staring up at me with her hands on her hips.

          "Thanks," I panted, focusing on the bunny now instead of how much further up I had to go to grab it. Looking to the side, I noticed a rod sticking out of the side of the building. Pressing my lips together, I placed my feet into the building before propelling myself forward. I caught the long rod with both hands, using the momentum of my jump to swing myself up and crouch down on top of it. But it cracked, beginning to fold under my weight. My eyes widened before I quickly jumped off it, grabbing hold of a balcony railing not far away from me just as the rod fell down. Vi jumped out of the way, whipping her attention back up to me as a chuckled nervously. "Oops."

          Pulling myself up onto the flat roof of the balcony, the bunny was now just a few feet above me. The metal lines were just in reach. Swallowing the lump in my throat, I inched my foot towards the edge while reaching out. My finger merely touched the bottom of its foot, and I panted while reeling back away from the edge. Not daring to look down, I hyped myself up a little before letting out a hot breath of air and jumping. My hands caught hold of the line the bunny was trapped between, surprisingly holding my weight as Whiskers squeaked and hid behind my hair.

          "Y/n!" Vi gasped as I dangled in mid-air right above her. Ignoring her and trying not to panic, I released one hand and wrapped it around the bunny. Giving it one good tug, its head popped out and it was free. Smiling, I dropped it and watched as it fell into Vi's hands. She grinned, flipping the bunny over in her hands before looking up at me. But now I realized just how high I was up.

          "Oh, shit," I panted, feeling panic rising in my chest before the line holding me suddenly began creaking. Looking over, I noticed it was beginning to bend where it was connected with the building. And before I could even think of what to do, the line snapped. I let out a cry as Vi gasped, holding onto the line as it fell and swung me towards the other building. I turned, my feet nailing into the building and stopping my body from slamming into it. But now I lost my grip, pushing off the building and crying out. Vi opened her arms out, wrapping them around my body just as the two of us hit one another and we both fell to the ground. We rolled a couple of times before stopping, groaning together as we took a minute to let the pain soak over each one of us. And then I tensed up.

       I was laying on the ground, my back digging into the hurtful rock below. Vi was on top of me, moving away from me with a little grimace before her eyes locked on me. And then she began chuckling, her blue eyes falling down and looking between the two of us.

          "You did it!" she cried as she rocked a hand against my shoulder. Whiskers moved out of my hair, still a little shaky from the fear that had filled her before slumping to the ground. Yeah, we were never going to get over our fear of heights.

          "Ha--ouch," I groaned as Vi pushed off me while helping me to my feet. I held onto my stomach, grimacing lightly as I doubled over. She still grinned over me, and I looked up at her before slowly copying her smile. She laughed down at me before helping me straighten up, grabbing Whiskers off the ground and hooking my arm around her shoulders before moving forward. I grimaced, moving with her as we began making our way back inside. As we did I felt a certain fluttery sensation take over the pain in my stomach, and I looked over at Vi as we continued to walk. Her eyes were set ahead, the smile never leaving her lips. But she must've sensed I was looking at her because she turned back to me before smiling. And I felt my heart tighten up, along with a little flush of my cheeks.

          Whoa--what was happening?

* * * * *

          Vi opened up the door, stepping down first as the other three inside turned up towards us.

          "Vi, where have you been?" Mylo cried as I slowly closed the door after us as she began making her way down the stairs. Mylo was wrapping up his arms, clearly knowing something we were missing.

          "Rumor is the Lanes are gonna fight," Claggor filled us in as he put down the knife in his hand on the table. Vi simply looked ahead at Powder sitting on the bottom bunk of the bunk bed, happily fixing together her bombs. I stepped down to Vi's side, sharing the same glance with her before watching her move up to her sister.

          "Look, I made them for the enforcers," Powder said as she held up two of them. "These are smoke bombs, and those two are full of nails."

          She dumped the smoke bombs into Vi's hand before picking another one up and shaking around the metal inside.

         "They're gonna work this time, I know it," Powder whispered.

          "Me too," Vi whispered as she set the bombs down. I moved over to the couch, sitting down beside Claggor as I continued to watch them. Vi gently cupped Powder's cheek before placing the stuffed bunny across her little sister's lap. "You know, Powder, what makes you different makes you strong."

          She grabbed hold of Powder's hand, squeezing it tightly as Powder looked from the bunny to her.

          "Always remember that, okay?" Vi asked. Powder nodded before Vi stood up, walking away as my eyes trailed her path. I frowned a little, watching her leave the room by herself.