To the Rescue

Vi threw open the door, all eyes within whipping up to us. Mylo and Claggor had been arguing, but they immediately stopped as soon as Vi began running down the stairs.

          "Vi?" Claggor questioned as her face stayed emotionless and she faced them.

          "Where's the--?" she began asking before Powder interrupted her.

         "Oh, you're back!"

         She ran up to her sister, giving her waist a big squeeze before looking up and faltering. Vi's lips were twisting as she began to lose control of her emotions and I slowly stepped down to her side while rubbing my elbow.

          She moved away from Powder, going for the table with Vander's gauntlets were sitting and reaching for them when Mylo caught her wrist, "Hey. Those are Vander's. Slow down. What's going on?"

          Vi's lips quivered before she dropped her hand out of his grasp, "Benzo's dead."

          "Dead?" Claggor repeated as the two boys reeled back in shock.

          "They took Vander," Vi added on as her lips began quivering even more.

        "Who took Vander?" Mylo demanded while looking between us.

          "We don't know," I lied with a drop of my head.

         "But I need to help him," Vi cut off as she stepped in front of me.

         "We're going with you," Mylo whispered as Vi dropped her head some to look at the ground.

          "Whatever killed Benzo... was like nothing I've ever seen," Vi began crying as tears welled up in my own eyes. I didn't have the heart to tell them it was my mother. "It tore him apart."

         She sobbed, covering her face as the two boys moved to console her.

          "You're not doing this alone, Vi," Claggor mumbled while resting a hand on her shoulder while Mylo did the same to the other.

          "He's our father, too," Mylo added in. Powder ran off to the side, and Whiskers squeaked as she jumped off my shoulder to follow her. "Do we know where they took him?"

          "Y/n followed them," Vi answered while looking over at me. I shrank a little at the attention. And then she began moving and packing up all the items we would need to get Vander back. "The old cannery next to the docks. He said..."

          She trailed off as she rounded around the stairs, noticing Powder standing with a smile and her briefcase. She was all packed up and ready to go.

        Vi took in a deep breath before letting it out slowly, "I need you to sit this one out, Powder."

        "What?" the little girl squeaked while reeling back a little.

          Vi walked up to her sister, "You're not coming."

         "I'm not afraid."

          "It's too dangerous."

         "But families stick together. You said it yourself."

         "I know what I said..."

         "I want to fight. I can help."

         "You're not ready!"

          Powder let out a little gasp, her eyes falling away from her sister's. Whiskers curled around my toe, shrinking a little as she watched the interaction take place.