Making Amends

A/N: Unrelated but I laugh every time I see this picture. I can't believe how tall Caitlyn is compared to Vi and that I didn't notice it until I started writing this scene.

          Ekko opened the door to the darkroom Caitlyn had been left in, and we watched as a little boy crept in with a bowl of water. Vi smirked a little, motioning with her head at me while grabbing my shoulder and pulling the two of us out of sight of the door. I frowned a little up at her, but she winked down at me before looking back. But her hand never left my shoulder. I ignored the strange fluttering feeling in my stomach as we both leaned around the door frame, looking in just as the masked boy took off Caitlyn's mask after taking off her handcuffs. He plopped down in front of her, holding the bowl out to her while grunting softly. She looked from him down to her wrist before bundling her lips up and smacking the bowl out of his hands. Vi quickly pulled us back and out of view just as the bowl rolled towards Ekko's feet, him sitting at the foot of the door.

          "What have you done with Vi?" Caitlyn demanded, and Vi just grinned down at me as I rose an eyebrow at her. Ekko motioned his head to the side, and soon the kid was running out the door and towards the others. "Listen, let her go. I brought her here. It's me you want."

         Vi smirked before looming around the side, leaning against it while finally letting go of my shoulder, "My hero."

          "You're..." Caitlyn began stammering as I peeked around Vi's side into the room. "But I thought you... I thought they were hurting you!"

          "Vi tells me I can trust you," Ekko said, motioning his head in Vi's direction as Caitlyn's eyes caught mine. I widened them in panic, remembering how our last couple encounters have been, and decided to duck out of view a little more. "You get a pass back topside, that's it. Let's go."
Vi chuckled as she pulled away, pushing her shoulder against mine, "You should've seen her face."

          "Ha," I forced out dryly while rubbing my shoulder as Whiskers jumped off the top of my head. "Yeah, she's not going to like me."

          "What?"

          "You!"

          I cringed, hearing the British accent ringing through the air as I slowly turned on my heel.

          "You slapped me!" she cried as she moved towards me.

           "Hey, I apologized," I shrugged while taking a step back.

         "Caitlyn, whoa," Vi stepped between us with her arms planted on Caitlyn's chest as Whiskers squeaked, running up the enforcer's boot before planting herself on her shoulder. "Uh--this is--"

          "Mouse," Caitlyn stopped her. "I know."

          "--Y/n," Vi corrected. "She's my friend. She lost her memory and worked for Silco."

          "And--" I rose one hand up while tilting to the side, making sure Caitlyn could see me from behind Vi-- "I am sorry about slapping you."

          Caitlyn looked from me to Vi, rolling her eyes a little before sighing.

          "Okay... okay," she grumbled while pinching the bridge of her nose. And then she seemed to finally focus on her surroundings, lips parting as Whiskers sniffed her uniform a little before sneezing. "It's beautiful."

            "If your people had your way, it'd be rubble and ash," Ekko spoke up as Whiskers jumped off Caitlyn's shoulder and into my hair, nestling and making herself comfortable.

           "It's a misunderstanding," Caitlyn replied. "They think you work for Silco."

          I lowered my eyes to the ground, tucking my hands in front of me.

          "Your people hunt us like animals," Ekko hissed while taking a few steps towards her and getting in her face. "Silco pays them to do it."

           "That's not possible," Caitlyn said as Vi and I moved forward almost in sync. "You're wrong."

          "Say that one more time," the boy challenged just before I grabbed his chest and pushed him back while Vi took Caitlyn's side.

          "Ekko, she believes what she's saying, okay?" Vi hissed as I kept a hand planted on Ekko's shoulder. "She's not your enemy."

          "Oh, yeah? Then what's this?" Ekko challenged as he pulled out a bag from his side before cracking it open and revealing--the gemstone Jinx and I had stolen together. Oh, shit.

          "You got it," Caitlyn gasped as Ekko held it out between two fingers just as I took a step away from him and my hand dropped from his shoulder. "You have to let me take that back."

          Ekko tucked it away, holding it away from her.

          "What is it?" Vi asked, turning towards Caitlyn. My eyes rose up to Caitlyn, and she looked from me to Vi.

          "It's a Gemstone," Caitlyn whispered. "It was stolen during the attack. By your sister... and you."

          I lowered my head, forcing myself not to cringe as Vi and Ekko both looked at me.

          "You just forgot to mention that?" Vi demanded, waving her arms at the both of us now.

          "With this, someone with the right knowledge could build... any Hextech device," Caitlyn continued on as Ekko looked down at the crystal in his hand once again. "If enforcers are becoming more... aggressive, that's why."

          "We could beat Silco with this," Ekko finally determined.

          "That won't solve things," Caitlyn said.

          "Easy for you to say," Ekko snarled as he waved a hand in her direction. "Your people aren't dying all around you."

            He turned his head to the ground, looking away from us. Whiskers squeaked, jumping off my head and onto his shoulder, gently touching his cheek.

             "Ekko, it's wrong what's been done to you," Caitlyn began saying as Ekko looked down at the mouse before turning towards the enforcer. "You'd be well within your rights to keep it. I couldn't blame you. But... if you do, this cycle of violence will never stop. This is our best shot at setting the record straight. This city needs healing. More than I ever realized. Please, let me help you."

            Ekko smiled gently at Whiskers before the mouse jumped up into his hair and he turned towards Caitlyn, "You got a plan?"

          "I have a friend on the council," Caitlyn replied. "Let me take the Gemstone to him. He'll listen to me. Your people wouldn't have to hide anymore."

          Ekko held the Gemstone to his eye level, turning it between his finger pads before looking back at Caitlyn, "One condition. I'm the one who gives it to them."

          "Done," Caitlyn immediately agreed, and Ekko nodded.

          "Let's go," he ushered, and Vi and I stole glances between one another as he began walking away with Caitlyn soon following him.

           "She's got a way with words," I shrugged as we began walking after them.

          "Yeah, and you still suck at talking to people."

           "It's a work in progress still," I agreed with a shrug and Vi threw her head back before laughing.

A/N: So I'm all better! I'm sorry it took so long for this next update, although nothing much really happened here, but I've had a ton of homework I needed to catch up on and I needed to get my grades up before I started this next chapter (apparently I missed some big tests in seemingly all of my classes in the three days I missed school and they dropped my grades by ten to twenty percent). But the next few chapters should be way more interesting than this! I can't wait for the bridge scene <3 ;) And thank you guys for understanding when I couldn't update and all of the get-well wishes sent through messages or comments on the last chapter. You have no idea how much that meant to me and how many times I went back through those and read them with a huge smile on my face when I was sick.