Taken

First Person pov

          I crept along the ground, my eyes watching as Vander went to Benzo's shop and got the big man himself before stomping off once again. Whiskers squeaked as she ran along the ground, looking back to make sure I was still following. I nodded as I went, avoiding running out in the open just in case Vander decided to look back for any reason and see me. He finally turned down another dark alley just beside Benzo's shop, throwing open a door in front of him. I ducked behind a crate, Whiskers climbing up to it as we both looked out.

          "Vander?" Vi whispered, standing up off the box she had been standing on inside the small room.

          The big man moved in, "We don't have much time," and then I couldn't see what was happening. So I grunted, quickly climbing on top of the crate and using that to jump up onto a balcony nearby. Swinging myself from one to the next, I managed to find a dark corner that gave me the perfect hiding place to observe everything from high up. I didn't focus on how high up I was, though.

          "How did you find me?" Vi demanded as Benzo began looking around the alley he was in. Whiskers climbed up onto my shoulder just as I ducked, hoping Benzo couldn't see me. He then slipped into the room, and I sighed in relief.

          "I'm proud of you," Vander said as he cupped Vi's cheeks. "Always have been."

          "I'm sorry, I... This is the only way to protect the others," Vi mumbled, and I frowned as Whiskers gasped. What is she talking about? Dogs began barking from down below, and I heard footsteps approaching. But I didn't dare lean forward in case the shadow would pass over me and I would be exposed to the light.

          "Vander!" Benzo called, seeing something I wasn't from where ever he was in the room.

          "You've got a good heart," Vander began rambling as he tugged on Vi a little more. "Don't ever lose it. No matter how the world tries to break you. Protect the family."

         "What are you--?" she began asking before Vander pushed her out of my view. My eyes bugged as Whiskers squeaked, jumping down in front of me and pushing herself into the light of the balcony roof we were on. She stood up on her hind legs, looking into the room and seeing things I couldn't. A lock rattled from within before I heard heavy breathing directly below me, and I looked over before freezing up completely. Enforcers--they were going right into the same room the others were in. "Vander!" Vi's voice was softer now... she was in a different room in there, "Let me out! This isn't right."

          "I'm guessing that's for me," the female enforcer said as she looked inside the room to the right. She stayed in view of my vision, and soon Vander walked back into view as well in front of her. She nodded to the man to the left, and he moved into the room to walk past Vander. But he put his arm out, stopping him.

           "You gonna let us make the arrest or not?" the man growled after pulling out a pair of handcuffs.

          "You'll oblige a doomed man one last smoke," Vander replied cooly as he brought out a match and struck it against the counter next to him, lighting the pipe he pulled out of his back pocket. Whiskers squeaked, running up to my shoulder in fear as I leaned a little further forward. Vander took in a deep breath of smoke before letting it out through his thin lips, waving the match out. "Won't you?"

          The woman moved past her male coworker, standing side by side with Vander, "I'm not putting you away, Vander."

          "The Council needs its pound of flesh."

          "Without you down here, it all falls apart."

          Vander took a long drag from his pipe.