54. early morning call

054

054

Devora had trouble concentrating.

Any time she tried to prevent her mind from roaming to Jungkook, it would go right back to him, spurring her brain with the memories that they'd share.

She thought about how much he had been comforting her recently, how he never milled around. He always knew what to do when Devora encountered issues.

He knew exactly what to say to distract her, and knew how to put her mind on other things.

And he definitely knew how to divert her from work and tasks that Hoseok gave her.

Devora had nothing else to worry about anymore.

Oddly enough.

Hobi appeared to be back to normal — after Saturday — Her despondent regrets with Adele seemed to evaporate after the discussion she and Jungkook had Sunday evening.

That was the first time in a while that Devora had absolutely nothing to stress over.

She was an overthinker, it didn't matter if nothing was going on in her life — her talkative and painstaking mind always found a way to make its presence known.

However, that wasn't happening this time.

It was nice to have a quiet mind for once.

All that was left was Jungkook, and she was perfectly okay with that.

The members would stop by, but not as much as before.

It made her realize how quiet the office was when the others weren't there to light up the room and bless the people with their blissful ambiance.

But, from time to time, Hoseok walked around his office to see what his employees were up to, and converse with them. That was another time when the room lit up from Hoseok's stunning smile.

It made her heart flutter, watching how happy he appeared to be. That's all she wanted, to see him smile.

It was so peculiar having to see him go through his stressful times when he wasn't a beam of light.

When he was bitter and irritable.

His father had stopped pestering him, perhaps that had a reason behind his new facade of ease.

Whatever it was for the cause of his smiles, Devora hoped it never left him.

After her eventful weekend, Devora's week full of work flew by her.

Before she knew it, it was already Friday morning.

No, more like 5:15 in the morning.

On a Friday.

More specifically, and in simpler terms; it was the ass crack of dawn, and Devora had been rudely awakened by her phone going off.

And it wasn't her alarm.

Rustling under her warm covers, she checked the caller ID.

Of course, there was only one person who would be up so early in the morning, for whatever reason.

If it hadn't been Jungkook who was calling — or Hobi — she would have let the call go to voicemail.

Grudgingly, she answered. "Hello?" Her voice was hoarse, fatigue composed all over her speech.

"You're still sleeping?" Jungkook's voice was normal as if he had been awake for hours.

Devora rubbed her eyes, lids struggling to remain open. "Jungkook, it is five eighteen in the morning. Who in their right mind would be awake?" She heard running water on the end of his phone.

"Me. Not everyone has the luxury of getting to work at nine a.m." Jealousy leaked through his gruff voice, tapping his wet toothbrush against the side of the sink, placing it in the cup.

"If you're jealous just say that." She crowed, sitting up in her bed.

"I'm jealous." He expressed, moving on to the next topic. "I know it's early and I'm sorry for waking you, but I just missed you." Ears kindled, rubbing the muscles on the side of his bicep.

"I miss you too, Jk. And don't worry about waking me, it was time I got up anyway."

He felt less guilty for brutally awakening her. "I wanted to know if we could see each other later today?"

Her eyebrows rose. "Later today?"

He hummed, walking out of his bathroom.

"Well, I get out at five. What exactly did you have in mind?" She asked, curious.

"I remembered that we never got to finish our one on one." He mentioned, looking for clothes to wear for work.

Devora laughed. "Oh, you mean the bet we made? Then you ghosted me. Yeah, I remember."

"I'm sorry about that," He shook his head. "But, yes. The bet we made, I thought we should finish it."

"So the evening you want to spend with me, after not seeing me for five days, is boxing? You want to fight me?" Devora clarified, running her fingers through her tangled hair.

"Exactly." He approved confidently, pulling out a shirt from his closet.

"Okay then." She nodded, agreeing to that. "But I am not responsible for repatching your ego once you lose."

He awed in amusement, his jeweled bracelet rattling as he searched for slacks. "That's if you win."

"Okay, Mr. Jeon, playing boldly." Devora fractured a smile, drawing circles on her bedsheet. "We can meet up and I can beat you."

"Wait, I'll be picking you up." He specified. "We're going to the place that I usually practice at. So after you get home, just call me."

"Wow, you're such a gentleman." Devora chirped, rubbing away the goosebumps she had received on her arms. "Thank you for the ride."

"Of course, it's the least I could do since you're gonna lose." He uttered those words so nonchalantly.

Her jaw dropped, scoffing, failing to keep her giggles locked away.

His open smile was read through the phone as he spoke. "Okay, I really have to go now. I gotta get dressed." 

"Alright, I'll let you go." Devora said.

"See you soon, gorgeous." He spoke one last time, before hanging up.

Elated that he hung up because Devora was left marveled by the nicknames he used. Her chest became tight, her heart plummeting down to her gut.

Sometimes, it was difficult to read the man.

He was going to fight her in a couple of hours but still treated her with these affectionate names.

But, Devora was exactly the same.

She was looking forward to their fight, actually.

Completely ready to win.

˚。⋆ ୨୧⋆。˚