Chapter 5

Chemistry class ended quickly. They cleaned up their lab materials, the bell rang and they all left.

Jungkook followed Maddy out of class and down the hall. Jungkook noticed that she didn't really walk. She skipped, danced, and flitted down the hall handing out compliments to her fellow students on the way. She greeted many people, some of them by name, even though it was only her second day. He saw her give out several high fives, fist bumps, and one hug. He shook his head. Who walks down a hall like this?

They arrived at the detention room but before going in, Maddy leaned against the wall and took out her phone. Jungkook came and leaned against the wall next to her. She said, "I have to text my mom that I will be late."

"Will she be mad?" Jungkook never had to text anyone if he was late. Jin had been a little mad the one night Jungkook hadn't come home at all, but that was a couple years ago. He suspected no one would notice now.

Maddy texted as she shook her head. "No, my parents don't really get mad. They are pretty supportive." 

"But, won't she be surprised you have a detention?" Jungkook certainly was surprised.

Maddy smiled then, "No, not at all." She held out her phone so he could see the conversation.

Mads: Mom, I got a detention so I'll be a little late. Sorry. I'll explain when I get home.

The Mothership: Wow, on your second day? I thought you'd at least wait a week to get your first detention. I'm proud of you sweetie. We'll talk when you get home.

Mads: OK, thanks.

Jungkook raised his eyebrows. "She's proud of you for getting a detention?"

Maddy grabbed his hand and pulled him into the classroom. "She is just trying to be supportive."

Jimin was already in the detention room. "Hey Kook. Did Madison walk you to detention?"

Both of them took out their detention slips and gave them to the supervisor. Then they sat down. There were two other boys in the room for detention as well. Maddy's knee was shaking and she was running her fingers through her hair. 

Jimin turned to Jungkook, "No way. She's doing detention with us? What did you two get caught doing, hmmm?" He raised his eyebrows a couple times suggestively.

Jungkook pretended not to notice the innuendo, "I swore in Chemistry." When Madison was quiet, Jungkook added, "She was disrespectful to Mr. Hak." He looked at her, still hoping she would elaborate. She said nothing.

Jimin looked at Madison with approval, "Surprising. I would have liked to have seen that. She may fit in better with us than we realized, eh Kook?"

The supervisor cleared his throat, "Alright, detention is officially starting. No sitting around today, we are cleaning the bathrooms. I'm glad to see we have a girl to help, the girls restrooms have been getting grimy." 

The two other boys were assigned to clean the boys' restroom on the first floor. Jimin and Jungkook were assigned the second floor boys' room. The supervisor told Madison to do both of the girls' rooms, which, to her, did not seem fair at all. 

Her brow furrowed, and she raised her hand. The supervisor nodded, "Yes?"

She raised an eyebrow at the supervisor. "To clarify your plan, these four boys will each clean half of a bathroom and I will clean two bathrooms?" Jungkook's eyes went wide, he'd never heard her have a tone like that. 

The supervisor put his hands on his hips, "Is there a problem with that? Why don't you let me give the assignments and you do the work? Unless ....  you need another detention?"